Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Considering this head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Apr 5, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I talked to a guy at Yorkville and he said I would get about 600 watts out of this thing at 2.67 ohms. D'yer think it would power 3 GS112's to high volume without hitting the limiter all the time, or should I get something more powerful ie. used IAMP etc? It'll power 2 of them at 400 watts each but the power rating drops by 200 watts at 2 ohms. The guy said it would run hard at 2 ohms all day and all night.

[​IMG]

I tried it in the store and it was quite loud. Very warm to the point where I had a hard time getting a trebly sound out of it. Perhaps this was the cabs... At any rate the guy said I could take it home for a day and try it with my cabs, so I may just do that. The three unit space would fill my rack with it and an RBI.

Anybody else tried this thing? What were your impressions? What would be better?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    With that option, I don't see why you wouldn't. You could do your own review of it in an environment under your control.

Then, you could give us a review of it. I look forward to hearing more about this amp as I am interested in it also.

-Mike

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    SMASH is always talking about these old tube amps. I think it is finally time for me to get one. The Traynor you mentioned above sounds like it would be perfect for my coffee house gigs. I wonder if I can get someone to trade me one for my GB. Off I go to find one.

-Mike

4. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks for all your writing and advice so far. I'll take the thing home for a day.

Hmmm... Food for thought. Right now I am driving a 1200 watt power amp with an RBI, but I have to crank it to outrun my Ampeg BA210 combo. There is a problem with input/output sensitivities matching up and I'm not pushing the power amp. So I'm thinking I could save 10 pounds and wind up with a more flexible rig to boot. I could run the RBI through the effects loop for a cleaner brighter sound maybe. :confused:

Do you think the Yorkville will bring some mids out of the GS112s or will it just get darker and deeper? Will the XS800 be louder than the IAMP 800 at 2.67ohms, or will it get left in the dust? Is the Fender/Sunn amp a bit brighter/cleaner?

Thanks again,
    Phil