Consumed nails due to chords, how to minimize that?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vevy, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Vevy

Vevy Guest

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi guys! In most of the songs I learn there are a lots of chords, and I usually play with fingers. The problem is that with all this chords my nails gets eat out, till the point that I have no more enough nail to do the chords, and at this point I usually use a pick, but is not too comfortable for me because I prefer much more to play finger style. What could I do to minimaze that nails smoothing? any advice?

2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    I've always had thick nails and have never had a problem with this, but with those with thinner nails, a clear coating of nail polish can help strengthen you nails and make them harder. Classical guitarists with thin nails do this.

3. Volpe25

Volpe25

May 5, 2012
    Ireland
    You could always try fake nails and if they're too long cut them back a bit to the length you want, I remember seeing a street performer in barcelona playing a 6 string bass in a trio and was getting a pretty amazing sound and I ended up talking to him and he said that's what he was doing

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    When I was first practicing double thumbing, my thumbnail tended to split. Found some kind of "tough nails" hardener at Wal-Mart. Looked like clear nail polish, but didn't have as much gloss.

That worked pretty well to prevent the splitting, until my technique got refined enough I was no longer busting up the nail from thrashing around with the double thumbing.

5. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Why do you need nails to do chords?

I keep my nails dead short exactly because I can't stand cut up nails, and I just play chords with my fingertips.

6. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    One of these will let you play finger-style and also do chords without damaging you finger nails:
    pick_hooked.jpg

7. My girlfriend is a nail tech. She has this gel stuff that she puts on my finger nails sometimes. It's clear. You put it on and it goes under a blue LED light. Pretty thick. After a week or so it started to chip but if I had problems keeping my nails long, I would do that.

8. Vevy

Vevy Guest

Jul 18, 2013

it seems like a very good idea! never thought about fake nails! Thank you!! I think I will try fake nails and nail polish as well.

Instead, about the ring pick, I already thought about that, but maybe it wouldn't be too comfortable for me since I use mostly the nail of the middle finger to do chords

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021