Converted? Yep, I think I am

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by mobass33, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mobass33

mobass33

Mar 4, 2016
    Ohio
    I was in a bad place in my life. Completely self absorbed and pushing away everyone close to me. I went to a church service at the invitation of a friend. After not going to church for over 15 years, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard that they played music and had videos but I didn't realize that I was going to be hooked.

I have played guitar, recreationally, for almost 10 years. Just as something to do. I gotta admit, it's sloppy and self taught but fun for me. I bring all of this up, because I noticed that there was a serious lack of guitar players in the church band. After attending for a couple of months (leading up to Easter), the church did a cover of 'The Final Countdown'. Lights, solos, the whole thing. I gathered the courage to audition and they asked me to join. My first band! A couple of months later, the bassist left the church. They wasn't a regular replacement and the vocalist and another guitarist took turns alternating who was going to play bass. After awhile, I started to realize that 1) my lack of technique was becoming frustrating for the setting we were playing and 2) the lack of low end was seriously affecting the sound of the band as a whole.

So I offered to play the bass on weeks that I was playing with the band. I started by using the other guys' gear and quickly realized that I needed my own. So my research started. Google led me to the forums here several times. I did some playing at the local GC and ordered a Squier VM Jaguar. The day it came was an awesome day because let's face it, who doesn't love going to get that brand new box?! As I was pulling into the parking lot, I get a call and the vocalist at the church needs a bassist for his senior project. I had a quick reply. My second gig!

Fast forward to the first practice with the new bass...Instant sound upgrade!!! The band sounds nice and full and everyone loves the new addition. A week later, the church orders an Ampeg SCR-DI to further upgrade the sound.

And now here I am. My guitars are collecting dust and my fingers are calloused. I've never had more fun playing music than I am right now. And it's all because I picked up a bass. I know this is probably long winded and most of you have stopped reading but I am now like you. Am i converted? Yep, I think I am

Opdelibears, JLY, GKon and 1 other person like this.
  2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I'm glad to hear things are working out for you. Nothing like a positive story to start the day. Glad for ya.

3. Welcome to the bottom end. Is there a drummer? If so lock your rhythm to his kick drum pattern. Wish someone would have told me that when I first started bass.

video, talking bass, creating bass lines # 1 - Bing video

When you and the drummer are working together the groove develops.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    GKon likes this.
  4. mobass33

mobass33

Mar 4, 2016
    Ohio
    Yep there is. We have a pretty good chemistry going.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Damn, I thought it said "coveted."

Well, we're still happy to have you even though your not highly desirable.

;) :D

Welcome aboard!

mobass33 likes this.
  6. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I enjoyed reading your story and am happy for you.
    Congratulations and welcome!

mobass33 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021