Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cool Edit Pro with a delta 44

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CoryBelcher, Jul 23, 2004.

1. hey- i have cool edit pro, and a powerful computer, stripped so it can handle lots. Heres what I wanna know.

Since I have cool edit, and a powerful stereo system. Can I just hook up a Delta 44 ( http://www.zzounds.com/item--THKMIMD442 ) to my comp- and have a nice recording setup? Will everything be functional anyway?

Also- how do i hook up my stereo in order to use it to monitor?

Thanks alot in advance.

2. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    I'd guess you could hook up l &r out of CEP via the Delta to the RCA ins on yer stereo's amp, sure. You're going to get a lot of follow-up advice here, though, that that doesn't represent a very hi-fi way to monitor your mix. Stereo speakers will give you a pretty non-flat response.

Guess a small mixer (Behringer 602 fer $60) and a pair of little powered monitors (I think there are some cheep Edirols) is out of the question? Even some $90 Audio Technica ATH M40fs headphones out from the Behringer'd be better than your stereo, I think. But- you can learn to deal with anything...

You're going to get to the stereo with a mix at some point, anyway! And you might get some other alternatives offered you around here, so keep poking around...

Stewbone.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A decent stereo is good enough for mixing, just connect the analog line outs with the input of the stereo (e.g. AUX).

The Delta cards work fine, just make sure you use the latest drivers from the www.midiman.com page, the drivers on the CD are probably obsolete.

4. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Well, so I was wro-... I was wroooo... I was...

Stewbone!

5. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Hey, Cory,

I got involved with all this recording/mixing in the digi realm 'cause a bandmate (rockin' drummer, great rhythm-section partner) and good friend of mine died two years ago, just when he was pulling together a dig. studio (a nice one). I've since sort of 'picked up the ball', in my own small (small) way, and have it been at with some intensity and a kind of grim purpose...

So my point is: I, in the midst of my agenda here, don't mean to thoughtlessly lay a burden on you concerning what you "need", and "should do"- Hah- I hardly know, myself, obviously! Besides, it's not my job to discourage others' enthusiasm!

There are folks like JMX here who are much more informed than myself, so get what you need and have some fun, man! Me too. :cool:

Peace,

Stewbone.