1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cool MIJ Gibson EB-0 Copy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So my very good friend's 16 yr old son has been looking for an old Gibson EB-0 for years. I told them that I'd keep an eye out for one. Their issue is that the budget was very low.

So I scored them the below. The neck plate says "Made in Japan". Looks like a decent copy. Anybody have any idea of what factory or plant in Japan it was made in and approx what year? Any info that I could give him would be great!

Hey, it's not a real Gibson, but it's damn close!!! ;) I think he's going to like it! Oh, one other thing. The listing said that it was a 30 1/4" scale, but looking at the pics, it looks 34" scale to me. No way to tell for sure until it gets here (unless somebody here knows for sure).

sgbass.

sgbass2-1.

sgbass2.

sgbass3-1.

2. Serek_Basses

Serek_Basses Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    looks like a short scale from the pics. definitely a nice lookin copy! keep us posted on how it plays/sounds

3. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    sweet man. I'm also working on trying to acquire an eb3 copy.

4. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    if he doesn't like it, i'll be more than happy to take it off your hands. =]
    sorry, had to say it. =]

5. Several years ago I owned a '68 Gibson ebo. I recently bought A Chinese Epiphone ebo.
    The Epi is a much better looking, sounding and playing bass.

6. Quadzilla

Anybody have any info on who they think made this and approx what year?

7. king koeller

king koeller

Apr 20, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    I love this bass! I just picked up a Gibson copy Made in Japan EB-2. for $20.00!!!! You and I have the same head stock, open book style Law suit violation, and those Japanese tuners are exactly like mine. My scale length is a short scale 30.5" full hollow body. Your and my bass were made by the same company. Bruno made by, ARIA, ( Matsumoku). One of the finest companies to be making law suit copies...Your bass is spot on! I bet it plays great! Make sure to only use light gauge strings on a neck that is shorter that 34". A set of 45 100 would be perfect , 105's on the low E would be plain way too heavy.The year is about 1970-1971. Go look at the catalogs on line and see for your self...
    Good Luck!
    Grant "King" Koeller

8. Orosgold

Orosgold

Apr 2, 2011
    I'm new here.I have been trying since I got this bass 2 years ago to find any info on this old National Bass,and its been hard to find,in fact I have only SEEN ONE other like this that was made by National,it was on e-bay with a bad truss rod...I have seen alot of National basses,and learned alot about the company (I'm a Thunderbird man) my searching got me here.
    The National on the head is inlayed mother of pearl,and I have no idea why they have a fret 1/4 inch away from the nut? I am missing the bridge cover,and the toggle has been changed and the black circle that was around it is gone..Other than that it really is a nice bass.The finish,fret board,ect...is something you find in a top of the line bass.Not some cheap $99 bass that comes with a amp and how to DVD..LOL..anyway,if anyone has any info about this Bass let please let me know..I even got the case.. I hope this pic shows up,you can e-mail me and I'll send more pic to you if you want 'em.Oro PICT0313.

9. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Some interesting National branded stuff pops up from time to time.
    The fret in question is a "zero" fret, a design that some feel gives open notes a closer tone to the the rest as well as better intonation, no wear or mis-filed depth on the nut, etc. generally considered a good feature, albeit a little quirky.

10. GearGod

GearGod

Aug 10, 2006
    Akron, Ohio
    I have an Aria EB-3 copy that looks a lot like that. From about 1970-1973 I think, short scale and really cool! I hope the sixteen year old loves it after his "years" of waiting!

11. Orosgold

Orosgold

Apr 2, 2011
    I found it out was made when a company named "Strum and Drum" after they bought the National name in the early 70's . the bass is in thier 1972 catalog,I was e-mailed a copy from someone who read my post. I have no Idea how many were made or what its worth. I,m sure not alot.But it looks good hanging on my wall,it gets alot of second looks from people.......Thanks for the replys

Enrique Alfaro likes this.
  12. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    OMG! I have a plea to make to you guys.

I started playing bass around 1972-ish. My first bass was the EB3 version of this bass. Not the one just above (National), but rather the one in the original post. Nothing written on the headstock, and mine was/is a beautiful wine color, but otherwise the exact same bass (except for the extra pickup and knobs and toggle). Same tuners, same everything. I believe it was made by Kasuga. The Bruno/ARIA/matsumoku information is new to me, and I've been searching. Anyway....I still own this thing, and it is emotionally dear to me.

My daughter used it for a time and, sadly, the cover over the strings at the center of the body was removed and is apparently lost forever. Again, I am talking about the string cover in the very first picture at the top of this thread. I sometimes play with a pick, and this string cover is essential for me. So.....I have been searching the Internet for that cover. I've seen a good number of images of the correct bass, but apparently removing this cover was popular since the picture above is the only one I have ever seen in picture.

And so, as you can see, I am desperately interested in finding one of those covers and I don't imagine it will ever happen unless I find it attached to a bass that is for sale. I cannot imagine you being willing to part with that piece. I would of course pay handsomely. Maybe someone has removed this string cover and not thrown it away. If nothing else, perhaps I could get some really good measurements so I can have a replacement fabbed. I have the resources for that.

Any help I could get from you guys would be very sincerely appreciated.

13. love it!

14. GearGod

GearGod

Aug 10, 2006
    Akron, Ohio
  15. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Thank you, GearGod. I have made an inquiry with the Bass Parts Resource guys. I question whether the generic covers will work. I think they are too shallow. The real one is kinda tall, with a rounded profile on top.

Again, if anyone who has one could make me some fairly detailed measurements, I could fab one. I'd hope for as much detail as possible. In fact, I could make a drawing showing the measurements I would need. In the meantime, we'll see if the Bass Parts Resource guys can (or will try to) chase down this part. I'm not the only guy who needs this part in order to complete the bass. My bass is beautiful, bone-stock unmolested and complete, except for that part. Maybe somebody has a poor/beat example and would part with the cover. Or maybe Bass Parts will ask Epiphone to check their warehouse. The frustrating thing is that there is probably a case of these just sitting around somewhere, NOS.

16. Quadzilla

I sold mine locally a while back. I'll see if I can dig up his info and see if he still has it and if he is willing to part with the cover. I know that when I ran into him a while back that he mentioned that he might sell the whole bass.

17. Wow, pretty!

18. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Cool. I appreciate your efforts.

I'm going to snap some pictures of the bass in question, and the case. Familiarity is not the only reason for my fondness. She's a beauty.

19. king koeller

king koeller

Apr 20, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    The fender telecaster bass (THE original 1951 precision BASS) also had chrome pick-up covers on all their 1950's and 60's basses. Just buy a fender replacement.

20. :hyper:Hey all,
    I know this is an old thread, but I have a short scale EB0 bass just like pics. bolt on with logo. Mine has a diamond in headstock. everything else same. Make an offer. This is for the bass only no case. I would like $100, and will pack neatly. I take PayPal payments.
    Pictures to come soon:hyper: