Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cool preamp for eub

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by shwashwa, May 5, 2005.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    hi there, i just wanted to share my experiences. i play a messenger bass through a raven labs blender as a preamp and a swr baby blue head into an swr 2X10 cab or an acoustic image extension cab.. great sound with that rig, no complaints at all, but recently i got curious, so i went out and bought the brand new Sansamp Para driver preamp/direct box. this has given me the warmest, fattest most pleasing sound i've ever had from that bass. it has 3 band eq, bass mid (sweepable) and treble, and a drive control for distortion. i keep the drive almost all the way down. i turned it on just barely and it really fattens up the sound nicely without distortion, ("tube emulation circutry") but even without the drive engaged the sound is definately nicer than anything i have gotten with the raven labs.. . i'll still need to use the raven for my Urb because i have 2 pickups that need to be blended, but i plan on trying the sansamp with the upright later today to see how that works. i'll keep you posted.