1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cordes Lambert Replacements

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by basscat35, Dec 2, 2018.

1. basscat35

basscat35

Mar 15, 2005
    nutley.nj
    I`ve had Cordes Lamberts on a bass for about 5 years or so with no issues. I`d like to put them on another bass but haven`t gotten a reply from the email I sent them. I even messaged Nicholas on Facebook (that`s how much I want another set of these) but again, no reply. Can anyone recommend strings with similar tension, sound, feel, etc? I`m playing blues, trad jazz, latin. The gigs can be loud and I tend to pull hard; my fingers blister too easy with metal strings. At this point I`d rather not deal with gut. I had an old set of Superior Bassworks Deluxe strings. (with the grooves) I just put them on and the E is way too floppy and something`s up with the D string. Thanks in advance.

2. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

3. basscat35

basscat35

Mar 15, 2005
    nutley.nj
  4. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

That might be a tricky question. Do you use all four plain, or the E/A wrapped? I think the Deluxe might be most like the Lamberts possibly. You may want to get the Twister E string though. I have only tried the Swingmaster which has a wrapped E/A and plain D/G. I was not a fan of the wrapping they use on those though. I also tried the D/G from the Hepcat set which are pretty thin and loose.

5. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

6. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

7. basscat35

basscat35

Mar 15, 2005
    nutley.nj
    Wow--- a lot of choices. I guess I`ll research these options. My Cordes Lamberts have a wrapped E. I think that`s the Gut Twin set but I got them at least 5 years ago (maybe 8 years ago) so I`m not sure

8. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I was gonna say the golden slaps too. I'm not too fond of the G but even it is a step up from whackers.

9. Wrapped E is almost certainly the later Gut Twin set.

I heard recently from Nic that CL is making strings again. I’d suggest following him on Facebook.

10. basscat35

basscat35

Mar 15, 2005
    nutley.nj
    Yes, I`m following him, even went to Art Of Slap Bass and put a reply to one of his posts re wanting a set.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  11. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Superior BassWorks (SBW) Deluxe Dirty Gut strings look and feel remarkably like guts... They are a bump set of 6 strings to select from. They are Kevlar core wackers, but they are spiral cut for their whole length, so they move a lot of air and sound very much like gut, or at least like the plain guts that I've played on other people's basses. They have the same thud, but maybe a little more clarity and sustain. Their look and feel is so convincing, I've had a number of experienced double bass people ask me if they are guts.

I started out using a complete set of SBW Deluxe mostly in the medium tension range and stayed with them for quite some time. Their tone is great and they sound wonderful amped, but I finally decided I needed more acoustic volume and clarity with the E and A so I swapped them out for Innovation SilverSlaps E and A (SilverSlaps are the silver colored version of the Golden Slaps mentioned above). The SilverSlaps are clear and loud and they have a remarkable growl. I kept the SBW Deluxe D and G strings; the medium tension gauge and tension match is excellent with the SilverSlaps, the feel is wonderful, and the tone and volume are great. For my playing, I really like these thicker D and G strings.

This SBW Deluxe EA / Innovation SilverSlaps DG mixed-set is what I'm using now, and especially since I've done some sound post work inside my bass, they are providing the volume and clarity that I want for both acoustic and amped playing. They sound great for pizz/slap and arco, although for arco the new SilverSlaps needed 4 to 8 hours of playing, along with a tighter bow, generous rosin and perhaps some technique refinement to work well for arco; in contrast the Deluxe strings are ready for arco right away. When new, the Deluxe strings take a week or two to stabilize, the SilverSlaps only need a few days.

If you're only playing amped or DI'ed, I'd be comfortable recommending the complete SBW Deluxe set, they sound great plugged in. But if you're also playing acoustically, I'd highly recommend the SilverSlaps or Golden Slaps for your E and A strings, or alternatively just trying the complete SBW Deluxe set to see if it's good as is for your bass.

SBW Deluxe string sets are available from Superior Bass Works, or from Amazon, in the very affordable ~$60 range. Innovation SilverSlaps or Golden Slaps sets are available from Innovation or as sets or singles from Gollihur and other double bass specialty outlets. I purchased my SBW Deluxe string set from Amazon and my SilverSlap E and A from Gollihur, both with excellent service. (NFI)

12. I’ve used SBW, Lamberts Deluxe and Gut Twin. The Lamberts whackers have something special about them that I can’t quite name.

sevenyearsdown and dhergert like this.
  13. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I agree. I would go as far as saying, all wackers are garbage except for Lamberts.

Fretless55 and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.