Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Bass'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arnie, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Hey Guys, I have been noticing Cort Curbow bass' on ebay lately. Any feedback on these? I remember "back in the day" you wouldn't be caught dead with a cort instrument, but maybe times have changed?? I noticed a bassist on a cruise we took last year playing a nice 5 string bass (obviously high end from the appearance) but upon closer inspection I saw the name Cort on the headstock, and I almost fell over LOL. I expect their higher end instruments ($1000.00 and over) to be decent but what about these?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I played a sweet looking Cort at the Bass Place in Tempe yesterday. It had a birdseye maple top and a bound maple neck with block inlays, looked incredible. I didn't get a chance to really crank it up but it sounded pretty good at low volume. You can see it on there web site under 4 strings.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have a 5 string Cort Action V, and I love it. I played a 6 string Cort Curbow, and it sounded real good. It looked uber fugly in my opinion, but it sounded fine. It wouldn't sit on my leg either. The neck was bad too, but that could've been because it's a 6 string.

4. Here I go again, championing Cort Curbow basses! I have a 4-string fretless that I like better than anything else I've ever played. I like everything about it, it's fast, feels great, looks like a beautiful piece of art, and has the sound I've looked for in other basses for years. It IS small, but that suits me because I'm a small person, and is one of the reasons I looked at it in the first place. I bought it right from Greg Curbow, and he and Simon were great to deal with, as well. Cort Curbow basses will always get my vote! :)

5. I have a Cort B4 that is a great bass. It rivals my Lakland Skyline 44-01. (Not surprising since Cort makes the Skyline series for Lakland)

6. oldtao

oldtao

Jun 5, 2005
    This band bass is low price,but quality is very good. In china,you can get it by 100$.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I had a Curbow 5, and a cheaper 5 (forgot the model but it had a MM and a Single coil pickup and only cost a little more than $200 from Dr. Cluck on Ebay). My mixed emotions:

Both basses looked great and seemed rock solid in construction. I really liked the sound of the MM pickup on the one I forgot the name of, but both basses were too noisy for my taste. I'm learning however that I seem to have a problem with noise that others don't mind or ignore. I hate when a bass has any kind of electical hum - and most basses with single coil pickups do that. My curbow hummed also, which is why I ultimately got rid of it, but again - what bothers me is nothing to some.

the other thing that I noticed was consistent with both basses is that bridge didn't go low enough to accomodate the action I like. the neck was buzz free, but I couldn't lower the sadlles anymore. Not quite sure what was up with that. I wound up shimming the neck which worked great, I got super low buzzless action - but it threw off the way the neck sits in the body and my nail would get caught if I was slapping.

String spacing on the cheaper Cort was HUGE, spacing on the Curbow narrow and just to my liking. uhh.... not sure what else. I'd say if yer interested in buying one check it out in a store. If the action and bridge thing is cool, and if the electrical buzz doesn't bother ya none - they're great basses, at a great price. IMO of course.

8. oldtao

oldtao

Jun 5, 2005
    Bad cable will cause big noise,so if the bass is noisy,maybe the cable has some problem.

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'm playing bass for over 20 years.

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Excuse my sarcasm. I've just been humbled. I never pay more than $20 for a cable and maybe you've got something there and I just learned something with all my knowing it all. My apoligies. Thanks.

11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I printed that and shall ask the kiddies at work tomorrow what it means. :)