1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cost of C extensions?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Adam Wynter, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Adam Wynter

Adam Wynter

May 9, 2005
    The title of the thread says it all really. About how much should I expect to pay here in the UK, say, for a fingered C extension with a couple of clips for C#, D etc? (I'm not really sure about having all three) I'm not actually having this work done for definite, as currently I don't have the money, but would be interested to know how much it might set me back.

Thanks,

Adam

2. I'd bet $1,000 US.

3. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    yea 900-1500 depending on who you take your bass into.

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    A basic price would be 1000 for the basic unit and 250 for each additional stop. Thats USD.

5. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    $250 for each stop? Well I'm sure handmade stops are very labour intensive, but there are add-on stops available that do the trick well for much less. Just google "Double Bass C Extension" and see what comes up. (Is this out of bounds?)
    Robobass

6. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    KC strings (www.kcstrings.com) make an extension that you don't have to cut into the scroll to fit the string, nor bend the string around the side. You can order it from them and have a good luthier install it locally. You can decide how many gates you want for the semitones and they're very easy to adjust yourself. I'm really pleased with mine.

Alternatively, if you can get your bass down to Roger Dawson in London he has a good reputation for making extensions. I've never met him, but I know a couple of people with his extensions.