1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Count me in on the Super Ferrites

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RED J, Dec 17, 2011.

1. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Just put together a Peavey Foundation with Super Ferrites, with parts from 3 different fellow TB'ers.

Aside from being amazed at how the thing just fell together from all at once...I see what all the fuss is over the Super Ferrites.
    Fat thick muscular low end, but with clarity in the mids and easy to tame the highs, just what I look for. Very fat yet defined.

I'll be learning about this guy for a while, but seems super versatile too. Super mud to twang if you want 'em. Thru my GK MB200 and Peavey 115BX, yum-o.
    Haven't seen how it mixes with a band yet, very happy so far.

2. MglMatador

MglMatador

May 5, 2010
    I think if you dig a hard-core vintage tone these work fine.

My '86 maple and rosewood Foundation I find far two dark and lifeless with the Super Ferrites. I can't get the tone to cut through a mix no matter how I play it. The bass itself is superb however.

3. Glad the pickups worked out for you. I'm still in the planning stages for the swap, but I'm getting pretty psyched.

4. This seems very strange to me. I found Superferrites to be almost overly aggressive and bright which is why I prefer the later soapbars. Have you looked into the wiring and the height adjustment of the pickups. If they are too low a lot of bass is lost and too high the bass dominates.

5. Love my Super Ferrites! Lucked out on an '89 Sunburst Fretless for $160 locally. I'm thinking it's time she needs a set up though, something about the action has been feeling a bit off lately.

6. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Hope yours turns out as well. This bass is truly the only 2 J type bass that has come close to my '65 jazz in sound. So far really liking it.

7. How bout some pictures, like to see how yours went together.

8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    The pics ain't much, but I have it together and set up and it plays and sounds great. I take lousy pics, it could use a good buffing, or road worn as is. Overall condition of the components, great.

PV Pics pictures by bass-dawg - Photobucket

9. Redj,
    My main player is a parts foundation the same color, same vintage neck, and soapbars. The body is clean and was a steal off ebay, the neck has several chips and wear marks but set up rediculously well. I have thought of refinnishing it, but don't want to mess with playing perfection.(By the way, I paid about $20 on ebay for the neck because it was rough and they never mentioned the word bass in the discription)