Covering the pole pieces on Norstrand big splits

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SleepGetsYourGhost, May 22, 2016.

1. SleepGetsYourGhost

SleepGetsYourGhost

Mar 18, 2015
    I tend to dig in more than I should when playing certain tunes, and occasionally my string will make contact with the exposed pole pieces on my Nordstrand big splits. Short of putting new covers on them, is there a material that I could put over the top of the pickups to prevent the string to pole contact?

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Clear nail polish, applied to the tops of the polepieces while you have the cover off of the pickup. Then pop the pickup cover back on. Invisible, and keeps the string and pole from making electrical contact.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    BassBuzzRS likes this.
  3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Black electrical tape maybe?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a string smacking into a covered pickup is still not a good thing.

either ease up the caveman attack or back the pickup down until it stays out of the line of fire.

wcriley likes this.
  5. ^ +1. And in the mean time, use a limiter of some sort. That is really hard on your speakers!

I'm afraid this is not going to help. It's not the electrical contact that is the problem. In fact it's common for pole pieces to be earthed, just like the bridge and strings.

The problem is the string coming to a sudden stop, right at the strongest region of the pickup's magnetic field.

Perhaps a piece of pickguard plastic or timber veneer, cut to size and placed on top with double-sided tape might be the way to go.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022