Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crab Rangoon.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Absolutely delicious.

...Discuss.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    When it's good it's great, but when it's bad... man, it really sucks.

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I agree with the threadstarters statement.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Amen. Market Basket (chain supermarket) sells little boxes of oven/microwavable ones for $6.50 a box or something. 15 peices.. They're so good. Also, this local place called "peking garden" makes very delicoius crab rangoon. This place in Rockingham Mall has delicious Umi Chicken, but their Crab Rangoon sucks.

5. There's a Chinese restaurant on route 133 that has awesome crab rangoon... I forget what it's called, it's near the Haverhill border. They also do a buffet there, with Sushi in addition to the chinese stuff.. its insanely good.

Do you ever go to Harrison's, also on 133? When I was at Merrimack College we'd always make weekly pilgrimages there to gorge ourselves. :D

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You are correct. Most of the affordable Chinese restaurants around here don't make them very well. They just taste like cream cheese deepfried in a shell.

But there are three affordable places that make them as well as any of the ones I have tried anywhere, and when they are done right, you can almost just make a meal of the crab rangoons, and skip everything else.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Never had any of the places you mentioned, but there's a buffet here called Mandarin House that makes the best rangoon I've ever had (depending, I guess, on who's cooking that night). There's another place here where everything is good, but the rangoon is so sweet it doesn't even taste good.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yup. Too much cream cheese and too little crab makes rangoon suck more than modern pop music.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Does anyone know where does the name "Crab Rangoon" come from?

I am heading off to Rangoon (now Yangon) in Burma soon, but deep friend crab meat and cream cheese doesn't sound like Barmar (traditional Burmese) cooking! Anyway, if I see them in Yangon I will try some out!

10. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    +1

What the...weird coincidence... I just got back home with a large order of 'em. 12 pieces of crab rangoodness. :smug:

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    all i know is that i love this stuff, bump

12. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    We make 'em at home.
    Bump up the crab content.
    Hmmm.

13. yes, even the worst one i had was pretty good. deep fried cream cheese isn't that bad! :D

my favorite CR is found back in my hometown at a little cheap chinese buffet that is $3.95, and they only have like 6 items, but CR is one of them, and it is DEEEEliscious

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ah! Harrisons! A friend of mine works there who's also an army recruiter! Met him on a train at first night! On 133.. Hrm.. I remember there's China Buffet on 28 and China Blossom on.. uhh it's in north andover, it's off of 133.

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ah! A Codsta'! You anywhere near the town of Dennis?

16. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Anywhere near it? I'm right in the middle of it. :)

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My grandma used to live there! I used to go up there all the time in the 90's. Aw man.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ever seen the movie Beyond Rangoon? It's pretty good.

brad cook

19. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    There was an article in the issue of Saveur before last about Trader Vic's, has a recipe for crab rangoon. Seems like garlic and A1, besides the crab and cream cheese.

The author had no insight in the origins of the bastardized burmese dish, though.

20. but........crabs are seafood...not chinese food.......... :( :confused: