Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cracked top !!!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by triggerno9, Oct 6, 2005.

1. triggerno9

triggerno9

Sep 23, 2005
    i've got a cheap chinese bass in my garage i'm gonna be doing up, there is nothing wrong with it except a long crack running vertical right down the centre of the top. it starts about 3 inches above the saddle and ends about 3 inches above the end of the fingerboard. it is right through the wood for about 15 inches in the middle (under the bridge). as it's not really worth taking to a luthier i wouldn't mind some diy crack tricks. cheers

2. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Sounds like an open seem.

3. triggerno9

triggerno9

Sep 23, 2005
    ok. is there a certain way to mend open seems (that doesn't cost alot !!!)

4. [​IMG]
    Did someone say CRACK tricks?! :D

Sorry, I'm no help here...

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Show us some pics. Usually the Top comes off for something like this. If you do it wrong, you can ruin the Bass or make it worse. It is cheaper to fix it correctly the first time. You have to know about the Glue, Top removal and replacement, Studding, and Varnish touch up for Violin family instruments. Not a job for a beginner unless you just want to experiment and you don't care if you make a mistake.

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Consult a luthier. One of two things will happen:

(a) He/she will say that the top needs to be removed.

(b) He/she might take a chance performing the repair with the top left attached to the ribs.

In case (a), don't even bother paying someone to do that. The cost of the repair would exceed the value of your instrument. It might be worth your while in case (b). But still... if it really is a true "cheapo Chinese bass"... I dunno about the practicality of such a serious repair job.