Crate BX-80 Speaker Swap 4 ohm load

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GregS64, Jun 20, 2019.

1. GregS64

GregS64

Jun 20, 2019
    I have an old Crate BX-80 with the stock 80 watt 8 ohm Eminence 15. It sounds like crap. Want to install a Celestion 4 ohm but don't know if the BX-80 amplifier can handle a 4 ohm load. Most amps have no problem with 4 ohm loads but I cannot find anything on line to verify. Does anyone here have the answer?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    CRATE BX-80 OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

Here is the owner's manual.

Not for nothing, but why are you throwing good money after not-so-good. I think you would be better off saving for a decent amp. Just my $0.02.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  3. GregS64

GregS64

Jun 20, 2019
    I have a very descent amp. Ampeg on top of 8x10. This is just something I use for little gigs. I have the amp & I have the speaker. Just want to know if it will work.

4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    i wouldn't. the manual doesn't mention minimum impedance and there is no "external speaker" output. also the celestion speaker probably is not a good fit for that box, speaker-physics-wise, as they were not designed for each other. if you don't like the bx-80, i would sell it and get a better practice / small amp.

buldog5151bass and BassmanPaul like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021