1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crazy geniuses, or just crazy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Sep 16, 2010.

1. I recently watched a doccumentary on Rorky Erickson ( ). It was probably one of the most amazing shows i have ever seen!

Just curious as to what you all think about "crazy geniuses"? Not just in music... but anything....

2. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    seems like "crazy marketing" to me.

3. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Depends on what you consider to be 'Genius' :)

4. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    The line between genius and insanity is sometimes hard to spot. I'm a Roky fan, but I wouldn't call him a genius. Stevie Wonder is a genius, Albert Einstein was, Frank Zappa was, Philip K. Dick, Thomas Edison, maybe Prince...

My question is: where are the folks doing genius-type stuff, that just haven't been recognised yet?

5. I get told I'm a genius, I get told i'm crazy. The latter more than the former I'm afraid.

but I mean that's me.

6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    They haven't had twenty or thirty years of other people discovering their work & enough time for everyone else to separate the wheat from the chaff.

7. A couple times with some of my creative musical ideas I have been questioned if I was using any substances at all. Of course I wasn't (and stated it); I think I'm dumb.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I knew a guy when I was a teenager who was bizarrely intelligent. But he was also schizophrenic. He killed five people and was eventually executed.

Is that what you meant?

9. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Thats actually quite a good example in a way.

10. Are you serious? :eek: Also, how could he have been executed if he was schizophrenic? :confused:

11. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Lethal injection works just the same on those with psychological problems.

12. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    You're only a genius if enough other people say you are. Until then, you're just eccentric (if you have money) or a nutball (if you are poor).

I once read that in his childhood, Einstein made up his own religion, complete with its own language & hymns. People must have thought he was crazy. "That boy ain't right." :)

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Do a search on "Larry Robison Schizophrenic Texas" That should answer your questions. My preacher and his wife went down to protest on oppposite sides when he was executed. She worked with victims rights groups and he was an advocated for mental health groups.

14. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    ^ Did a google search; is reading what comes up gonna make me die a little inside?

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Maybe a little. His family tried and tried to get him proper treatment and were constantly denied because he'd never 'presented a danger to himslef or others'. Basically his first violent outburst ever was the one that cost five lives.

16. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Forgot to mention the guy who invented air conditioning! Frickin' brilliant! I love that guy!

17. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I read the open letter but didn't want to go any farther than that.

18. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    He Rocks and is admittedly quite clever :D

19. Actually my point was that he was a mental patient and you can't execute mental patients. Apparently, Larry Robison technically did not fulfill the conditions required for him to be certified unfit for execution in that:

1) Larry understood that he is going to be executed
    2) Larry understood that his execution is eminent
    3) Larry knew why the state is going to kill him.

So he was on the red side of the gray line. Got my answer.

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i know a large number of very smart people, and they're all different. people gonna be people. (people gonna peop?)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021