1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crazy Radar Trap

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Rant ON!!

I had to run to the post office today. Quite often there's a radar cop parked right before the post office entrance. I never really give it any thought as I'm slowing up to make my turn. Today, the Cop pulls in behind me and and says, I'm just going to give you a warning but I clocked you at 74 mph :eek: I actually laughed and assumed he was kidding. He wasn't!! I even volunteered to drive past his radar again to see what it read. He wasn't very friendly at that point :rolleyes:

My Jeep Wagoneer is 26 years old, has a tired 6 cylinder motor and rides on BFG Mud Tires. I've driven it to Orlando and Tampa on the highway but it's not built for speed. Every 5 mph over 55 you can FEEEEL!!! I've driven it at 75 mph, it will do it no problem but it feels like you're going 100mph and the wind (no AC) and tire noise is incredible!! My comfortable speed for around town is right at 55. Right before I slowed up to turn into the post office, I doubt I was even going 55. I would DAMN sure know if I was going 65mph forget about 75mph :mad:

I feel sorry for anyone that drives past that cop that's actually speeding. They'll get arrested :p

Rant Off!!

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    hm.. no, I havn't ever had a problem with cops or CHP officers, but then... my cousin is a CHP officer.

3. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    oh yeah, and the fact that you're also on the other end of the country where this particular cop isn't...lol.

4. I never have problems with the cops either. I have a clean driving record, even after owning fast bikes for the past few years. This cop or his equipment was WACKED!!! When I told my family that I almost got a speeding ticket in the Jeep, they all started laughing :meh: :rolleyes:

5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

hmm... you may be on to something... have I mentioned that I am crazy?

6. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    We were traveling in the great state of Wyoming on the way to Salt Lake and were going the speed limit and got a ticket for 15 over in the middle of F-ing know where, they are lying, cheating revenue generators and they know you are not going to drive 300 or 400 mile back to fight thier BS ticket.

Nothing feels quite like a corrupt cop with a name like Cletus or Roscoe and an IQ of 20 messing with you when you did nothing wrong.

7. dude....

8. In Holland they have to be able to produce the calibration reports for their equipment....

Cheers Rody

9. Yup. Got nabbed by a six-toe in the middle of the Utah desert. "Gotcha for 51 in a 40!" he gleefully barked; the remnants of his lunch clearly visible between the gaps of his remaining six teeth. I pointed out to him that I couldn't have possibly been in the 40 mph zone at the time he flipped his lights based upon our relative angles to one another, and after concluding with "So you see, I couldn't have possibly been in the 40 zone, Sir," he came back with "Well I say ya WAS!" The guy knew he was full of bovine scatology, but wrote the ticket anyway. Fargin' toothless bastige. :mad:

10. I have the utmost respect for Police. Many of my cutomers are in law enforcement. I even know several local Cops. I think this guy just had some faulty equipment and then got an attitude when I doubted him. I honestly thought he was joking and was headed into the post office himself :confused:

11. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    maybe you had a lexus drivin' , cell phone textin', late for shoppin', makeup putin onin' opposite gender human that was speeding behind you or going the other way and he thought it was you speeding .

If you get a ticket pay it in pennies!

12. Nope, not another car going either way. My wife said she's going to get a racing stripe panted on my Waggy :D

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Famous quotation: "If you do the crime, you got to do the time".

If you WERE driving that speed, and knew you were doing it, then you simply played the game and got caught. No room for complaint there. 15 over is enough to earn a ticket anywhere. It's the 4 MPH and 6 MPH over tickets that I think are very bad calls on the part of the officer. In those cases you're right, they're assuming you won't fight it so they take advantage.

14. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I wonder if his radar was properly calibrated. When I did ride-alongs with the police, they always calibrated the radars with tuning forks before heading out on patrol, and had to write the results down on a record sheet with their signature and badge number.

15. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    You missed my statment saying "we were doing the speed limit"

16. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    You forgot to remind him that you pay his salary.

They love that.

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had something similar happen in Wisconsin when I was coming back across there in my truck (the 18 wheel variety).

I've told this story in another thread, but needless to say, the HP officer tried telling me he was going to write me a ticket for an insane amount over the speed limit (something like 74 or 78 in a 65!!). I knew for a fact I was not going anywhere close to that, and told him that. I also told him I wanted to see the radar reading to prove this. Long story short, I held my ground, because I KNEW I was right. I told him well, I WILL be seeing you in court, then, and I do have a witness to back up my story (a co-worker was in the truck in front of me, we had been running together since meeting up on the east coast). He grumbled something and told me that I could go.