Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Creating a Combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've seen Adrian talking about this, and I don't think it worked out quite the way he wanted, but...the older I get and the more I gig, the more I want to streamline my setup. So far, I've mounted the AMT on my bass (along with the Full Circle), mounted the AMT pre on the bottom of my gig stool, and had both of my regular speaker cabs (VL 108 and 208) fitted with stand-mount plates. All of this is great, but I hate to admit that I still kinda dread putting it all together at the gig every time, and I've forgotten and/or left cables behind enough times that it's an annoyance. Sooo...

I'm getting ready to get a Focus 2R to use with the VL208, and I'll still have the old Focus 2 to use with the 108. Since I won't have to switch back and forth anymore, I thought it might be nice to simply make a combo amp out of each head and speaker...one for loud gigs, and one for quieter ones. What suggestions can anyone offer about the best ways to do this? My first concern is that the speakon jacks might get bent of broken if I leave the head plugged into the cab. Is there such a thing as a 90 degree speakon cable for the back of the speaker? If so, I could probably just duct tape the cable to the back of the amp plate. Then I'd need a method of attaching the head to the cab in such a way that it wouldn't come off, but that wouldn't damage the head. Ideas? Any other ideas about how to make a homemade combo like this more "plug 'n play"?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Chris,
    I know what you mean. What i have done is taken my VL208s; one with my walter woods head and one with my clarus. I attached a heavy canvas bag to the side of each cabinet that has all the jacks in it so that when they are broken down everything stays with the setup... This may be not exactly what you are looking for but it has really emilinated som frustrating pregig set ups for me...

3. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I know a guy who had his whole rig put together with that super velcro.(Amt pre strapped to the amp and plugged in) Solid as a brick and no extra weight. never heard of a right angle speakon (I dont think they exist)
    I really dig the rig I have now. A LDS 1x8 with the cart attachment and an old GK bag with the Woods, music, stand, cables. I was (at your suggestion) bringing a PA stand for the 1x8 but lately I just use the built in tilt.
    I arrive at the gig and plug the woods to the cab, bass to the woods and I'm ready for the downbeat. The cart for the 1x8 rocks cause it comes off when you get there and weighs nothing. I think you could add it on to a different cab...
    If you get into adding wood to the equation I think you'll find the weight a bother...I think Adrian let that combo thing go pretty quickly...

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Chris, I used a cam strap (available anywhere) to just strap my Clarus down to my UL110. It was solidly attached and non-invasive. You could probably use brackets of some sort for a cleaner look, but the strap worked fine for me. I put the Clarus on the side of the speaker so I could still use the speaker handle...somewhere, there is a pic on TB...

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Is a "cam strap" kind of like a thick piece of flat rubber with a hook on each end? if so, I was thinking of using one of these to mount the head.I also like the idea of still being able to use the handles on the VL cabs, and the space between the strap and either side of the head would be ideal for holding the power cable for the amp. Gear whore that I am, I'm also in the market for a slightly smaller PA stand than the one I've been carrying.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Chris-

Nah, we use cam straps to tie kayaks down...they're webbing straps with buckles on the end.

Here are a bunch...

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1188&src=champ

You can also get them at any outdoors store. I just put the strap all the way around the Clarus/cab and cinched it down. Simple but effective.

W

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Why not chop the top offa one of the cabinets, mount the amp to the liberated piece and make a flip-top (a la Ampeg)?

8. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    LDS did a nice custom cabinet like that, with a built-in telescoping cart, also ala Ampeg. Very slick.

9. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I use a focus SA and an avalon u5. I put the u5 on the bottom and the SA on top, and I got some right angle xlr and speakon plugs that don't stick out very far. The whole stack fits into one of those gym bag/tool bag "big mouth" bags that Sears sells, and I can lift it out assembled.