Creative suggestions for a non-ugly Jazz THUMB REST?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by plasson, May 7, 2019.

1. Ramp is worst looking? Not at all.

2018-04-15 10.55.05.jpg

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; just 'cause youse likes it, don't meen da Opie do.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    FRoss6788 likes this.
  3. What?? :eek:

4. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I considered this idea, but I don’t want to increase the distance from the strings since the thumb will sit in an extra “spacer”. But it is fine, really. Like I said, no problem with drilling holes. The question is purely “what sucks less aesthetically?”

The idea idea of a round surface might be interesting. Do you have any examples I can look at? Although I believe what’s more jarring aesthetically is that straight line from pickup to pickup. That is the shape that needs to be broken I think.

What Sissy is saying is that it is a very subjective thing. And I would agree. :)
    Some people drool over buckeye burl basses, I hate them. I hate ramps, some people love them. It is what it is.

5. Seriously??! :eek:

6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I like this. Get the same looking wood as the bass. Finish the part over ther pickguard to be black. Don’t make it too tall. Make it wise enough so that it’s stable. That double-stick tape is available from auto parts stores for body work. If you like it fasten it in place with a few pickguard screws.

Work with the aesthetics of the bass. Tye natural with black is tye ideal colour for this.

Or just go with clear lucite.

7. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Another vote for learning to play without the aid of a thumb rest. The added benefit here is that you can play any bass guitar proficiently — no awkwardness when playing a new, borrowed or substitute bass.

I’ve heard many here say that a B-string makes a great thumb rest, so there’s that: go 5-string.

But I avoid the whole issue by playing with a pick.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  8. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    I use a strap button.
    20190120_174506.jpg
    20190120_174551.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  9. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Nah, just kidding. Ramps are objectively :poop:. :D

I’m gonna start with that and lucite. I’m also talking to a 3D printer guy to see if we can develop something ala ZeroMod by taking advantage of the only screw on the pick guard between the two pickups.
    [​IMG]

I don’t get you guys. What kind of suggestion is “learn to play without a thunb rest” or “go 5 strings” or “use a pick”?
    Nothing against 5 five strings or picks (I do use them). It is a matter of tone. I don’t know how many people giving these suggestions care that much about tone, but I do and so do the people I play for.
    I could simply slap my way through this with no need for a thumb rest, but that is not the point. I am looking for a specific tone from this specific bass and that tone can only be achieved by playing finger style in between the two pickups, digging in. There is no way to do this by floating the thumb. I don’t buy the “technique deficiency” argument. Some of the most technically advanced bass players in the world use a ramp, and it is not for a technique deficiency. Also, I am no better than them, so no point in me trying to surpass them. I don’t have enough lifetimes. :D
    I’m not loving that, but it is an interesting take. A way not to hide it but more to integrate it with what’s on the bass. That’s why I was looking for examples of people using hardware with the same aesthetic of the bridge, control plate or something like that. Couldn’t find any however.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Fun Size Nick likes this.
  10. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    The problem is not that you want to rest your thumb. That's fine. There's nothing wrong with resting your thumb. I just don't think a thumb rest will look good on your bass. I personally like to rest my thumb, but I can also dig in just as hard without resting my thumb because I have practiced doing so.

The problem is only that you use your thumb to stop your plucking finger at the end of its travel. That's your technique deficiency, not the thumb rest. You can continue to use a thumb rest and I hope you find one that looks good on your bass to you. But I recommend that you try strengthening your plucking fingers by using the muscles of your plucking finger to stop its motion rather than relying on your thumb, which is costing you time and energy, decreasing your available dynamics, and keeping your plucking fingers from developing strength and speed.

11. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Dude, I got your point, and I believe that you think you can achieve that.

12. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    This is the point. This is what you need to pay attention to.

13. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I would if it were relevant to the topic, but thank you.

14. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Sorry my reply upset you.

What kind of suggestion is learn to play without a thumb rest? Well, it's my personal experience. I once thought I needed to anchor my thumb. It was hard for me not to, and because I’m primarily a pic player, my finger picking skills are mediocre. But I worked at it and learned how to be free of needing to anchor my thumb. Doing so opened up a world to me. I didn’t need a bridge pickup to dig in at the bridge; I didn’t need a neck pickup to dig in at the neck. I wasn’t handicapped when the need arose to play an unfamiliar bass. Hey, I’m trying t help. If you're not open to alternate thinking, that’s okay.

I did not suggest you go 5-string. I only shared some thinking that all a B-string is good for is a thumb rest. Maybe I needed a smiley face there so you’d get the joke.

I also didn’t suggest you to play with a pick. I said that’s how I avoid the issue. And If you can’t read between lines, that also discounts my opinion on the thumb-rest subject. I volunteered that.

Again, sorry my post offended.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  15. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Not at all, and I wasn't trying to offend you either. Sorry if it came across that way.
    My question was not rhetorical, it was more like "was it not clear from my first post that I have no interest in any suggestion that is not strictly related to the look of the thumb rest?" Cause it could be that maybe my post was simply not clear and I should edit it.
    I know everyone here has their own technique, their way to play bass, their philosophy, and so on. I respect all of that, I'm not crapping on any of it. But again, I've been playing for 18 years now and I have pretty much seen and tried it all.
    To put it simply: there is no doubt that in a couple of days there will be a thumb rest drilled in my bass, so my topic wasn't meant as a poll on whether or not I should do it. I am going to do it. All I'm asking is for suggestions to make it look as little ugly as possible. :D

16. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    If I could remove it without damaging the bass, you could have the long thumb rest on my Godin A5.

17. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    :D

18. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    This. Clear acrylic, held in place with double-sided tape. thumbrest.JPG

19. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I only posted the pic of the 5 string as a lark and a knock against those who say “I only play fives” (I prefer 4’s but enjoy 5’s as well)

20. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    How many people actually play bass without anchoring their thumb somewhere - that is, they play with their hand floating in free air, with only the plucking fingers touching the strings? Are you advocating for a classical guitar-type technique? If you have a special technique, fine, but calling the technique that most bassists use a 'deficiency' is quite a stretch. I have come across 'floating-thumb' purists regularly, but this is a step beyond...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021