1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crossover point Q?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DWBass, Jun 28, 2012.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What's the ideal crossover point when using 2 dual 15" subs?

2. Depends.

What are the subs?

What are the tops?

What is the crossover?

How much amp is available to power everything?

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What are the subs? Community XLT55's

What are the tops? Behringer B215's

What is the crossover? Internal crossover in a Crown XLS2500 power amp.

How much amp is available to power everything? There will be 1200w available to power the subs (2ohm load/1 side of amp) and 775w available for the mains (4ohm load/other side of amp).

Note: There will be very little outdoor use. Mostly indoor Bar/Club/Restaurant use.

4. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Start at a 100hz. Then kick whoever the idiot was that thought 215 cabs would be a good idea in the sack. EDIT- The owners manual for the subs say between 100-150hz for best results

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, the subs came free! Can't afford to buy anything at this point so we gotta use what we got!

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I think he was referring to the tops.

7. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Correct.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Let me clarify, I just needed the crossover point for the subs because the amp asks what frequency point do I want to use. I don't recall it asking for one for the mains (I could be wrong). The subs have dual 15's. The tops just have single 15's even though the model says B215. By the way, the amp is pretty cool. It can be configured in quite a few ways.

Stereo Bypass Mode (Default mode/Mains only/Stereo input)
    Bridge Mono Mode (Sub only on 1 side/single channel input)
    Crossover Mode (Subs 1 side, Mains 1 side/single channel input)
    Highpass Mode (Mains only/2 channels/Stereo inputs)
    Lowpass Mode (Subs only/2 channels/Stereo inputs)

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    "crossover mode" is what you want, and 100Hz is a normal spot.

+2 on the just punishment for 2x15 tops.

10. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Leave it to Behringer to call a loudspeaker 215 when it only has one speaker in it.:confused:

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's not a 2x15. That's just the model name of the cab. It's a single 15 main.

[​IMG]

This is the sub.

[​IMG]

Here's the amp.

XLS2500.

12. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, we're just talking about 2x15 tops in general now, nothing to do with your stuff :)

they're too big to pole-mount, too short to get the horns high enough when on the floor, and when stacked on a sub the bottom 15 loses any reason for being there.

13. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    Basically, they're what happens when marketers say "more is better!"

It isn't always better.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Funny. One of my other bands had them (JBL dual 15's mains) and I had to convince the owner to ditch them. He had a problem with them once and he rented some Yamaha club series single 15's! What a difference! He finally sold them to a pawn shop and is using the Yamahas now!

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    We ended up with a pair of JBL 2 X 15's...not my idea, mind you. I have a pair of Quick-Lok stands which should work nicely once mod'd. The footprint once the "spider" framework is extended is too wide for the relatively narrow enclosures. I'll have to devise some type of removable, lightweight shelf that can be dropped in place before hoisting the cabs.

Riis

16. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ha!

maybe you could use the rack lids?

17. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Depends on the drivers in the whole system and where they operate best. You can want to use speakers in a specific range, but that doesn't mean they'll do it well.

18. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Do you know how to control that amp? If not, read the manual, then re-read it. Until then, you won't really know what it's capable of and how it can work for you. It has compression, limiting, crossovers and IIRC, it can do parametric equalization.

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    But it has two ports.:bag:

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Almost a good idea but I need something with dowel-esque alignment pegs to stiffen the contraption. Problem is that I bought the things secondhand to save a bunch o' dough and the main cross-member connecting the two sets of legs is waaaaaay too wide. If I angle the legs inward adequately, the structure loses stability. With God as my witness, I will make this work....and I shall never go hungry again (Scarlet O'Hara).

Oh.....100 hz is a great starting xover point. DW, I owe you a visit!

Riis