1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crown Vic Police Interceptor- What do you think about them?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by greekorican, Oct 2, 2009.

1. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    So I've been looking around for used cars. The last thread I made My mom agreed to get me a car as an 18th birthday/Christmas/Graduation present. The budget is kinda tight though. I'm looking for something that will give me a lot of car for the money. I'd like something decently fast, of course. Chicago gets some nasty winters, so I'm looking for something that does well in the snow too.

I've been looking into a crown vic police interceptor. There are a couple dealerships in Chicago that I could buy one from. My best bet is probably to test drive one, but I'm looking for some opinions. I have heard lots of good things about them. They can take a beating, and they are made to last. I've also heard they have quite a bit of horsepower, and that they can really haul ass. I've also heard from people that they are really big and heavy, and as a result, they are extremely slow. Many people seem to think they are grandma cars.

One of my concerns too, is the back seat. I won't be sitting back there, but I know that they make the back seat so that it's easy to clean. Is that the seat the comes with the car? How ugly/uncomfortable is it? Also, are the back door handles inoperable?

It would be nice to hear some opinions from people who actually own one, or have driven one. I suspect that most of the people who badmouth them and call them grandma cars have never actually driven one.

Thanks a lot!

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    It's got a cop motor, a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks, it was a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

dressup_blues-brothers.

/couldn't resist

3. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Get ready to shell out for gas.

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Coming from an x cop...I wouldn't buy one. As stated above, set aside most of your money for gas. Other than that in the TRAINED hands that car can do some things that most people wouldn't think it could do.

5. what happened to the blues mobile?:confused:

6. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    I've also heard that cops abuse the cars really bad. My friends got a ride home from a cop once (out after curfew), and the cops were speeding up before they went over speed bumps. Then the cops turned around and said "We don't really have to be careful with these cars. We don't pay for them, you (taxpayers) do." That makes me a bit concerned

I'm really interested, What kind of training do you go through as far as driving? What does it enable you to do with a police interceptor that most people wouldn't think it could do? I'm a car nut, and for some reason, driving around a cop car sounds appealing to me. At the very least, I think I'm gonna go to a dealership and test drive one, just to experience it.

7. Tama

Tama

Nov 19, 2008
    Bugtussle
    How much for the girl? LOL

We're on a mission from God !! LOL
    Funny movie.
    Cheers, Dave

8. Don't you blaspheme in here. DON'T you BLASpheme in HERE!

9. cops don't keep them as long as most regular drivers..they are relatively new but very high mileage.....taxi/cop packages usually have beefier springs on the back seats as they are heavily used by adults rather than the average guys kids....i doubt that most of the features you will pay for will be of much use to you....for the winter a 4wd pick up or suv will get you through the snow better than any 2 wd car

10. Fix the cigarette lighter :)

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

11. Kevinmach

Kevinmach

Dec 7, 2008
    This comment to me suggests that you already have your mind made up and aren't really interested in other peoples opinions.

The fact is though, most of the people who do drive the non-police model are, in reality old. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get one... but people don't have to drive one to get that impression or have an opinion on it.

So much so in fact, there was an article some years ago that speedometer on one of the models listed the top end at like 140mph, and they were actually considering lowering it.. because the target market for these cars.. old people... were turning it away because it appear "too fast". True story. I am not making it up. (yeah, I know.. it's a stupid reason not to buy a car.. you don't actually have to drive it that fast!)

Personally, I've never really regretting getting economical cars that were decent on gas and more practical.. especially in bad weather, I am in a rough town for winters like you.
    Even more so when I was younger, when I couldn't afford to sink a ton of money it.

That being said, I love my BMW Z3 for the summer. But I sure as hell would not be driving that as my primary car. I have a minivan for that.

12. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    The fact that the cars are surprisingly young, despite having lots of miles on them is what caught my attention. I've always heard that crown vics are tough as nails and that they are made to last. I thought it might be a great deal for the price. I've also heard that Canadians love them, because they are great for the winter, though my dad says its because snow tires are legal in canada, and that they probably don't do as well in the US.

My dad wants me to get a truck or SUV, and I'm definitely leaning towards one too. Driving my mom's car during winter can be scary, losing traction is no fun. 4WD would definitely be nice, I feel a lot safer in my dad's truck during bad weather. The problem with trucks and SUV's is that they tend to be really expensive.

Well I've heard a lot of conflicting things about a CVPI, I don't know who to beleive. I just think that advice from someone who has experience with one, such as the ex police officer would be more reliable that someone who hasn't driven one. I haven't made up my mind yet, I'm just looking for opinions.

13. i've never used snow tires......when you factor in all the things you can do with a truck that you would normally have to pay someone to do they are a bargain

14. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Hit it.

15. [​IMG]

16. if you get one, please get rid of those (probably disabled) spot lights by the drivers side mirror, and paint it a color that is not white or black. i cant stand trying to figure out if i have a cop or some douche bag behind me.

also, i wonder what sort of maintenance they undergo. is there a police force mechanic? as others have stated, cops seem like they thrash their cars, and constantly speed and blow stop signs. unless youve got your lights on and somewhere to be immediately, drive by the rules you enforce. thats my opinion. in summary: dont buy it.

EDIT:

oh, i completely forgot to touch on how "fast" the crown vics are. whilst at sears point, watching friends and strangers run the quarter mile, three or four cop cars showed up to drag, and they are not at all fast. the best one did it in the high 15s if i recall correctly, and the rest were in the 16s and 17s, which is pretty pathetic in my opinion. granted most high speed chases arent in a straight line, but dont go thinking theyre sporty. i also bet they handle like a sedan (ignore high end euro sedans and a couple american ones [charger and taurus sho come to mind] and MAYBE a japanese one or two).

17. There's a police station around the corner from my house and the street I live on is one of the main thoroughfare for the immediate area and cops LOVE to speed down this street at all hours of the night. It's not uncommon for one to be going down the street at 50-60 mph in a 25 zone. :scowl:

As for the Crown Vic, I personally wouldn't buy one if I lived in a place that actually has weather. Have you considered an older Subaru or Volvo? An older Impreza or a S70 maybe? The Subaru's have all wheel drive, some of them are turbocharged so it'll have a decent amount of power and they last quite a long time. The Volvo's are absolutely fantastic for winters with heated seats, front wheel drive and a solid 200 horsepower with a 5 cylinder engine. Won't eat gas and you can get around in style and not freeze your butt off. ;)

18. driving around in a volvo has'nt been considered "(getting) around in style" since roger moore drove an 1800 in "the saint".

19. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    owned a crown vic. 92. bullet proof reliability. 25mpg on highway, 18 around town. room for anything...amps, doublebass, whatever. you don't need the interceptor version. cheap to fix. great in weather with the right tires. i've also owned old volvos. expensive to fix. gave the car to a cousin with 120k miles. still going at 200k+. in the whole time i've known the car it's needed little more than gas and oil. it's good basic transportation built to last.

20. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    If you want that type of car, look for the civilian version, the Mercury Marauder. Similar setup, but much more comfy and better looking. The mid-late 90's Impala SS is a cool cop-ish car, too.
    I had a Merc Grand Marquis, which had some giddyup, and was comfortable, but drank a lot of gas and was HORRIBLE in the snow. My wife spun it out on wet pavement a couple of times.
    Not enough weight in the ass. (The car, not my wife)