Curious about band names

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 1st Bass, Jan 3, 2017.

1. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    It seems that there are certain critters that are deemed worthy of emulation (Beatles (yes, I know how to spell the critter), Eagles, etc.) But what about other such bugs, birds, or such?

Green Night Herons are really intelligent-seeming birds, but as far as I know, no one has grabbed that for a name.

Funnel-web spiders are among the most fearsome of venomous arachnids, Stoats are pretty ferocious little predators, Fisher Cats too, but much larger.

What makes an Eagle an appropriate name-source, but a Nighthawk not so much? (Actually, that one, with all the associations regarding the eagle, I sort of get, but...) Whippoorwills?

2. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I think if the animal is cool somehow, then it is a candidate. For example, the name, "The Fluffy Bunnies" just doesn't cut it for a rock band. On the other hand, the Gray Panthers might work for an older group of guys. I think that's why "The Eagles" works -- because it's an agressive, warlike creature that generally has a lot of respect, being our national symbol etcetera.

Also, it has to fit the style of the music. Hard metal bands tend to have really aggressive names like "MegaDeath" or "Metallica". I think you would be hard pressed to find one called the "Woods Quartet", which is more for a classical group playing polite music.

3. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hmmm. Yeah, some of that seems self-explanatory.

4. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    There is a Blues band called the Nighthawks

zontar, lfmn16, Duder and 5 others like this.
  5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    can't worry too much about decorum and "what's appropriate."

Exhibit A: When People Were Shorter and Lived Near Water, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, The Butthole Surfers, The Hard Drinking Housewives, etc—all honored ancestors of the crop of active bands proudly bearing weird names (for example, Modest Mouse, Eagles of Death Metal, Texas Chainstore Manager, etc.)

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    there's flock of seagulls, screaming jayhawks, dragonfly, and i just discovered a band called pelican. black widow was a band in the late '60s with lyrics about satan.

i suspect that if you look up enough animals, insects and birds, many of them have bands named after them, albeit bands that most of us haven't heard of before.

dxb likes this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I think part of it is that the name has to either.....

1) Be just weird enough to be memorable.
    2) Be funny.
    3) Just be really catchy.
    4) Roll off the tongue.
    5) Be ominous (in the case of serious rock/metal bands)

Sure, there are some exceptions.

No offense, OP, I personally would not be interested in pounding beer and wings while the Green Night Herons of Funnel-Web Spiders rawked out. That is, unless somebody I know and trust had already seen them and recommended them.

Bassdirty likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I call Fluffy Bunny.

9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Buldog and the Fluffy Bunnies :roflmao:

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I might have to invest in a second "L".

mikeyjm2 and catcauphonic like this.
  11. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    From The Commitments
    Jimmy Rabbitte: We have to be "the" something. All the great sixties bands were "The Somethings".

Oddly, Imaginary Pony and RedVee like this.
  12. wmhill

wmhill Inactive

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Not a band, but a song about a critter..................

edencab likes this.
  13. "Funnel-Web Spiders"

Well, David Bowie's band was "The Spiders from Mars".

So, take a random animal, and add "from <some planet>"?

14. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Flesh-ripping Weasels would rock.

TinIndian, mikeyjm2, PillO and 2 others like this.
  15. "The Fluffy Bunnies"

I kind of like it. But I play in a band named after a cartoon character.

Maybe not, but there was an "Echo and the Bunnymen"

16. L Anthony

L Anthony Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Yeah, this.

Going for a night of beer and wings you want to hear a band named Dragonscales, Harleypipes, or something similar. Not the Waterbugs or Burning Blunts, unless you're into progressive/indie/pop. Conversely, when you go to see a jazz group, you want to see the Bob Smith Trio or Nightdreams.

17. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Muriel Volestrangler and the Stoatweasels.
    The Funnelwebs is a great name!

RedVee likes this.
  18. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Cool! When I was a child, and we were first building the home in which I now live, there was a nested pair of nighthawks living in an adjacent orchard, and swooping and booming every evening. I have never seen them since then, but it is a nice memory.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  19. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Guess I really wasn't thinking about what kind of band. Different names evoke different images: for example, the Ermine is a vicious little weasel capable of killing game several times its size-- but most people imagine very costly white fur, not a crazy-wild little killer. :) Whereas the Red Sable is a larger weasel living in Siberia or some such place...but I only think of expensive varnish-brushes.

Good answers! My curiosity is slaked.

Aha! "Unslaked!"
    Nahhh...too obscure. :)

20. My first band, in 1964, was called the Bumblebeats.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022