Custom Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldirtybassist1, Jan 27, 2005.

1. oldirtybassist1

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm looking to somewhere down the line purchase a 6 string fretless bass. Id like it to be custom, but im not sure if i can afford it. im looking in the 1000-2300 dollar range. Any recommendations, factory or custom?
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Chris Stambaugh at Stambaugh Designs..

Dont know if Carey Nordstrand can do anything in that range but you could check...

Matt Schmill with Fbb Basses

All I can think of at the moment.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was gonna say the same thing...his basses are excellent!
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Darrin Huff -

One hell of a talented builder and one hell of a good friend to boot! ;)
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I think those would be a little out of his price range.. Huff's basic 6 starts at $3495
  7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  8. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
  9. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Dingwall AB's are an option, not so much custom though. And you might be able to get something for that range with Pete Skjold, who makes a DAMN fine bass btw.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    How much do Dingwall sixes go for? I'd LOVE a fretted one, but I don't know where/how other than a place in Toronto...but...I can't go there to ask.
  11. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV Right in your price range, seems like a great guy and very flexible. I'm thinking bout one myself.
  12. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

They have some 6's at the bottom, shoot em an email to find out real price as opposed to MSRP. Or since you are in Canada, PM Sheldon on the boards here and ask him personally :) Sheldon D. is his user name.
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Thanks dude! I'll definitely check 'em out.

Brad: Your post just intrigued me more than anything I've ever seen. I'd LOVE to see some more budget-concious Brubakers floating around (he does some of the strangest, most awesome finishing I've ever seen!)
  14. I'm thinking about selling this one:

It's a Hanewinckel Fusion Artist 6-string Fretless Neck-through with a really beautiful figured Walnut top, Ash body, Pau Ferro fretboard (I think), Maple neck with Wenge laminates. A new version of this lists for $3000. I might let this go for $1500. It's in excellent condition. I've hardly even played it, to tell you the truth. I have a 7-string fretless that I usually play.

If you think you might be interested, let me know. I'm not 100% sure I want to sell. I'm also thinking about selling this one:

because I pretty much only play my 7-strings now. The fretted Hanewinckel would go for about $1700 if I decide to sell.

More pics of all of my Hanewinckels at:

Check out Pete Hanewinckel's web site at . He makes wicked fretless basses.

- Dave
  15. stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    +1 for Stambaugh in that price range. :bassist:
  16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    All of the above suggestions are absolutely worth checking out. I'll add Jon Shuker, in Sheffield, England. You'll pay for shipping from the UK, but even with the current lousy exchange rate, he makes some good stuff that could fall into your price range if you don't go crazy with options.
  17. mosh pit vocals

mosh pit vocals

Jan 25, 2005
    hey man, i'm starting a custom bass company and i would gladly work with you and come up with a nice bass for you. I would be on the lower end of your price range most likely (depending on what you want done). However, i'm in the process of establishing my guarantee/warantee and i will not sell you an inferior bass. If you are not satisfied with what is built, i will work untill you are satisfied. I guess you might think you would be taking a risk by using an unknown builder, but it will cost you less, and you don't pay if you don't like what i make. So you've got nothing to lose. If you are interested, please send me an email at:
    Mosh Pit Vocals
  18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Check out M basses, also. Met him a show in NY. Makes great stuff. Was considering a 5 of his for quite a while.

19. Nice! It's amazing how many great bass luthiers there are now. I also find it interesting that many or most don't even make G*itars. :D

- Dave