1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Bubinga singlecut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greg Johnsen, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Progress has been made! After investing well over 2 grand in this bass, its starting to make more progress and looks better (at least to me) every time. Because the specs have changed so much, I'm gonna re post the new ones for you guys, and hopefully get some comments on this thing.

Bubinga Singlecut 6 string
    -Bubinga top and back
    -Maple accent
    -Purpleheart core (yes, this thing weighs a little bit, lol)
    -5 piece curly maple/bubinga neck
    -bartolini G6 pickups
    -bartolini or audere preamp (may decide to purchase a new preamp, not sure yet though)
    -gotoh tuners
    -hipshot A bridge

Anyways, today I decided to check in on my neighbor and see how he was doing, and luckily enough, he was feeling great and asked if I wanted to come down and work on the bass. I of course replied with a h*ll yes! We got a lot of work done on the bass, mostly the neck, but I'm glad we did because we're almost finished with that part of the project.

Now for pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As usual, all comments are welcome.

Thanks for being so supportive throughout this long build, all of your help has really pushed this along and I can't thank you guys of the luthrie forum enough.

Greg

2. radii

radii

Feb 16, 2007
    That looks very nice !
    The Bubinga is going to look killer against the flamed maple.
    If you don't mind, how did you spend over 2 grand on this so far ?

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Lol, well, as the people who know about this will tell you, this is my first "build" but its the 3rd evolution of it. it started off about a year or more ago with a simple build, with the total parts costing me around 1200....then I messed up on the body and neck, so purchase of new wood bumped me up another few hundred, mess up on that neck, another 100 or so, a mess up on that neck, and now I have the bubinga/maple neck (which was oh so expensive, but worth it).

So I'm technically on my first build, but this is just the outcome of many mistakes due to my ignorance...but it is going much more smoothly and is looking great IMO.

Thanks radii

Greg

4. Lookin' good man, looking forward to seeing the finished product!

5. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    That's a sweet looking project...hope to see your progress improve.

Good luck!

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    you and me both barnacle! Ignore most of the line I drew for the shape of the heel, I need to make it a little different, but I guess the line gives the jist of it....

I should be working today after work, so hopefully some more progress shots later!

Thanks

Greg

7. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    what's up with the uneven trussrod spoke adjustment wheels? you plan to even these out before you install the fretboard?

all the best,

R

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    This bass could potentially bend time-space around it.

My back feels for yours. But the bass looks good. :D

9. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Haha, thanks ehque. truthfully, its not that heavy, it'll probably end up being around 10 pounds, which I can handle, I carry around 270 every day, lol.

Rodent, of course man, after all the time and money Ive put into this, would expect me to have my spoke wheels uneven? We're going to silicone those in (they're loose now, I put them in for pictures sake) and we're going to make sure they're aligned perfectly. No worries man.

Thanks again guys

Greg

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    very cool build thread.

11. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Thanks jai, very in depth

Greg

12. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    That's going to be a monster bass... you sure with all that bubinga and maple that you'll need two truss rods?

13. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Probably not, but it is a 6 string, and the most ability for set up possibilities is what I want, and I'm used to having two because of my ibanez. Plus I had two from before, so why not use them, lol. Thanks Shawn, that means alot though, can't wait til its done

Greg

14. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    just thought I'd drop this on you guys...

[​IMG]

thanks

Greg

15. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Looking very nice, sir! Very nice!!

Have a great day!

:)

16. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Wow 2 grand?!! Well Im sure it will be priceless once you finally get it complete.:)

17. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    well yah, it better be, haha. But the 2 gees include the first bass, this bass, all the hardware and electronics, a billet of 5a flame (which I still have almost all of) a curly katalox fretboard and 2 failed wenge necks, lol. I guess its alot for the money (even though most of it is ruined now, haha).

Thanks for the support guys, I'm loving it already, all 9 pounds of it

18. Bubinga top looks like Walnut :)

19. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    it'll look way more bubingaish with the oil finish, trust me, it looks nasty

20. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I can't wait to see this finished... what's the green stuff on the body lams - masking tape?