Custom jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimp, Dec 9, 2004.

1. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    well ive been looking at buying a new jazz bass but something that a bit of time and effort went into im looking for a fretless 5 string jazz body and neck obviously. im not lookinbg for something that i will never be able to afford just a well priced bass. ive looked at

are there any other ones i should know of? in this field.
  2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  3. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    my price range is about 1800 us dollars. a factor as well is will the bass maker be able to ship to south africa
  4. With a budget like that you should be able to pick up an awesome bass. Could even go custom. I think the KSD Jazz 5s are made in korea and have a street price new of 750 U.S.

You could also order just the parts from Warmoth, for example and have a local builder build it.

You could get a lower line, Made in Japan Sad.

For about the same amount, you could get Michael Dolan to build you a vintage 5 exactly to spec. I think there are others that actually specialize in custom ultra-quality J basses.

About the only jazz bass you can not get for your budget is the NYC Sad.
  5. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    yeah i know about the ksd's it was the first non brand name 5 string fretless i found and i have heard very good things about it the 1800 mark is extreme max's though it would be based on a few outside factors. So does valenti make 5 string fretless? could i make a few decisions on it and so on?
  6. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think Jon Shuker could make you one and ship it within your budget.

Check out his J model. Keep in mind also that he will sometimes do things that aren't explicitly listed on his website (other woods, etc.). He's a good guy and absolutely great to work with, but he takes, let's say, a fairly leisurely approach to updating his site (sorry Jon!). His prices are relatively modest for what's basically a one-man shop.
  8. This is a good thread. Luthiers to build ultra jazz basses. Just need to know a builder's background and experience.
    Dolan used to make Almebics back in the day so I needed no further proof.

Of course, some of these basses are merely built from parts and require merely require assembly and set up. Is one who assembles pre-cut parts still a "luthier"?
  9. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    This topic never seems to get old....
  10. hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    You rock for being into screaming headless torsos. Dave Fiuczynski blows my mind. The Kif CD is freakin amazing if you haven't got it.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yes, Valenti will do a 5 string fretless.

Nino Brown (the builder of Valenti basses) is very good to work with and open to a lot of suggestions. He's built two of my basses and its been an enjoyable experience working with him so Im sure Ill buy more from Valenti in the future.

Here is my newest Valenti.

I suggest that you talk to Nino Brown and discuss what options you want so he can tell you how much it would cost.
  12. lots of great makers mentioned in this thread the only other one I can think to add would be Mike Lull.
  13. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Hunta- i have got it and yes fuze is amazing! you got the new dvd thats they just finished? SHT in two shows... fun stuff i cant wait to get it.

WOW there are alot of options out there itas goona take me awhile to sift through everything take in all the details see whos got what i like. but its good that there are so many options fender just arent cutting it these days!
  14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Fima Ephron is a beast! the Torsos KILL!!!!
    you go , man! good taste in music!
  15. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    HAHA seems torsos has got a few follows here! ive met 3 in 2 days ive only ever met 1 other person in my home town who likes them! i love all fuzes work and fimas solo work all good stuff.
  16. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    ,and a NEW Mike Lull,however you can get a used one for that price.
  17. You´re from South Africa? How about the local luthiers? I´m sure there are competent builders over there. And while the net has definitely made the world a smaller place, nothing really beats the personal, hands-on service that a local luthier can give you.

Remember, majority of TBers are from US, so it´s natural that most talk here revolves around American luthiers. But that doesn´t mean there aren´t fine builders all over the world. Also, buying from local craftsmen is an ecologically sound concept.
  18. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    i have looked around a bit and the best ive found is a acoustic guitar maker. i will carry on looking around but it is not easy and the prices for a bass here will probably be more than i would pay to ship a bass from overseas.