1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Pickguard

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jucas, Dec 13, 2006.

1. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Didn't know where else to put this, so if it's better off elsewhere, please move it.

So I need to have a custom pickguard made for a different pickup configuration, and was told that I'll need to send in a tracing. I don't have the pickguard on me, as I'm picking up the instrument over the holidays while I'm at home. Do you guys have any tips/etc for tracing it out, or any sites that might have a full sized tracing I could use and just modify the pickup arrangement by hand?

It might be for a strat, and not a bass, but really, a pickguard is a pickguard, and I figured anyone who had customized their pickups might have a suggestion.

Or is it probably easier to get an allparts blank if I can find a someone to cut it out locally?

Thanks

2. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    I have used files, belt sander jig saws, drill presses. They all work to mod it to fit. I made mine out of 1/8 in dimond plate. came out great but was alot of work. Make a templete out of card board that put that on the material you want to cut and go to town. its really not that hard.

3. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I suppose I could just file and sand a blank into shape... Problem is I'm a student with a massive lack of tools and would need to buy anything beyond a scredriver or hammer. I may grab a file and see how it goes, but I think I'll talk to a local store first. Good to hear the DIY is a reasonable option though.

4. bluetiejeeper

bluetiejeeper

Oct 24, 2006
    danville CA
    Yeah I did it while I was still in HS and worked on it for a week after school. get two files, one flat and one round. those two you should be able to do the entire thing. good luck

5. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Wow... I talked to the two local shops that I thought might be able to help out, thinking a strat pickguard with 2 control holes, and 2 pickup routes would be pretty easy and not to time consuming...

First shop quoted 3 + hours at 60 an hour leaving me with $180 plus whatever they charged for the materials.

I figure that thats crazy, but that shops often pricey so I walk down the street... The guy thinks about it for a minute, and tells me well over $300 maybe more. For a strat pickguard without anything crazy going on... standard black material, just 2 holes that aren't normally there. and nothing else.

There's absolutely no relevance or question here, I just had to share the crazyness of their quotes. Looks like I'm going to be doing some filing this summer.

Oh yeah, canadian dollars, but still!