1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom pickguards for a SX?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by XtheDeadPawn, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Yes. He's your friend and it's not your bass.

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No. Stop him in the name of all that is holy!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    My friend bought one here's a link to it

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1077.html

Anyways it looks amazing instead of $150 it looks like it's a grand easy but, here's the weird part though I admit he's a weird cat he looks like Charles Manson for God sakes. Somehow after getting the bass and owning it for less than a day he wants me to look for a place to buy a custom pickguard.

Here's the thing it's not really a common material I think he's gonna ruin the whole basses vibe but, he's my friend I can't stomp on his gear so I'm doing it.

First for those who can't see it imagene a fretless jazz with block of (maybe) faux pearloid ontop of lush maple, then a natural finished ash body with a black pickguard....

Okay got that in your mind?

Now imagene the same bass only with a zebra pattern pickguard :eek:!!!!!

If you threw up your not alone I admit i did too just a little.

Anyways I'm telling you this because I either need to find a place that makes this OR a way to convince him to just leave it be.

To give you better insight to my friend he owns 3 P's one a MIJ Fender, a Ibanez lawsuit and a SX with the old headstocks and cigeratte burns all over the headstock and body.

1 Ric that is plastered with stickers of 80's glam bands and one Beatle sticker.

A few SX jazzes he had more but, he traded them for effects and a half cab.

Finally he's got a bedroom full of Nirvana posters and a fetish for duct tape as everytime mysterious holes show up in the walls he duct tapes 'em!

That being said you know more about what I have to deal with.

And I need help. :meh:

2. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Check out www.greasygroove.com

You may have to send in a tracing of the pickguard, but they have some very cool custom pickguards and vinyl stickers.

3. ;)I hear that guy at Jeanie's is good... maybe your buddy that looks like Manson and the guy at Jeanie that acts like Manson would get along!

In all seriousness though... I want to make a rasta bass w. the Pot Growth pickguard from Greasy...

4. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah Jeanie's look bad I think my lack of patience with people yelling at me may come into play.

I'll check Greasy groove.

Crap need to trace a outline for 'em I'll make him do it it's his bass.

Thanks guys anymore sites?

5. That site is pretty neat. Yeah they do have zebra! And maggots too o_0

6. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I might get a maggots one for myself. I am a Slipknot fan afterall.

7. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    All right he traced the outline and I helped him order a zebra pickguard.

It should be here by the end of next week atleast that's what we were quoted.

I'm still shocked he actually went through with the idea. I need better friends ones who aren't in a stoner band. Geez. :rolleyes:

8. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    It came early. I helped him put it on. The next thing I know he gets a match and strikes it to light him a ciggeratte!

I think I need a beer. I don't think I can make it as a sXe if I got idiots for friends. Though I do admit the aftereffect of the match left a cool pattern.

I asked him "What the hell did you do that for?!?!"

He smiled took out the ciggeratte blowed a smoke ring then said "I needed a smoke"

9. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    its an SX they are made to be customized, I say go for it, he has to live with it, hell I was planning on customizing the paint on my SX, but cash problems forced me to sell mine :/

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I suppose but, it seems like a weird custom job.

11. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Don't worry too hard if you fall off the sXe wagon. If you're going to, you're going to. It's not about the people you hang out with, it's about what you want to do. I hung out with stoners all through highschool. It wasn't until last October I broke edge. Found out I really like beer!!

I want to get a carbon fiber pickguard.

12. lol, i got a guard through jeannies.. came out reeeal nice. i guess it was worth the 5th degree i got over the phone :meh: :smug:

13. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    @downstairs
    I am not worried about breaking edge. I'm pretty sure I've got as much willpower as the next person if not more. I just feel like sXe is the only way I want to live.

@Number27
    I call people like I see 'em. If they act like a prick too me I do it back like I'm a mirror or something. I notice as I get older the worse it gets I guess I'm algeric to rude people.
    Figures. Growing up I never really was people friendly guess I never grew out of that facet of my personality.