Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Pickguards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by McHack, Jan 24, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've recently had an idea for a custom pickguard, for my Warmoth Dinky J, w/ a PJ pup configuration. The body is rear routed, so, this would be for decorative purposes only.

I'm hoping I can find a wenge pickguard Jazz pickguard, w/ the cutout for PJ pups, that I could just screw onto the body. I wouldnt mind using a traditional 4 chrome control cover to mate with it.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You may on day regret putting holes in your bass for a pickguard if or when you decide you don't like the pickguard anymore.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've been wanting to do,,, SOMETHING for a while. I'd link a pic, if I could find where the gallery link is now... the body is a black korina dinky J, w/ a trans blue finish... Thing is, it came out pretty dark. You have to look pretty hard to find out if its black, or blue. Combine that w/ wenge neck, & ebony fingerboard... its one cosmetically dark looking bass. One that shows finger prints really badly.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I know how you feel... I just finished a project with my jazz bass, and now I am thinking about putting a MM-style or soapbar pickups in it.

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    make your own!
    It's really not all that hard, check out the one I made for my jazz:
    http://lordgoogle.com/bass/mim_fretless_jazz.html
    That one's a baltic birch plywood test, I'm currently working on the flamed maple final version.

I'd suggest 1/8" or maybe 3/16" thick wood (thinboards.com is a good source), I needed 9" wide for mine so you could probably get away with the same. Then it's just a matter of tracing your shape, cutting carefully around where the neck goes (and testing often for a good fit), and mounting it under your knobs. I used a hand-held jigsaw and finished it with a file and some sandpaper.

Heck, if I had one of those basses I'd make one for you. It's easy and fun!

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, interesting... I dont really need something that's 24" long, but fully expect 9-10" wide would be about right.

Did you talk w/ these guys, or just order straight from them? Guess I need to find a cheap pickguard & measure to see how long I'd need it.

7. shameandspite

shameandspite

Oct 12, 2005
    I found some doorskin/cayak material at a lumberyard near me that worked very well, despite my incompatibility with hand carving. Handheld Jig Saw +1, and a dremel. for roughing your sand, then a sanding block to put a bevel on the edges. So far, its held up better than the stock plastic one and for five bucks.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I actually have only talked to them. I bought my wood through someone else and am seriously regretting it after finding this guy. (Dirk is his name.) He takes his wood seriously, unlike the guy I got mine from. >_<