Custom Pickguards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by McHack, Jan 24, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've recently had an idea for a custom pickguard, for my Warmoth Dinky J, w/ a PJ pup configuration. The body is rear routed, so, this would be for decorative purposes only.

I'm hoping I can find a wenge pickguard Jazz pickguard, w/ the cutout for PJ pups, that I could just screw onto the body. I wouldnt mind using a traditional 4 chrome control cover to mate with it.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You may on day regret putting holes in your bass for a pickguard if or when you decide you don't like the pickguard anymore.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've been wanting to do,,, SOMETHING for a while. I'd link a pic, if I could find where the gallery link is now... the body is a black korina dinky J, w/ a trans blue finish... Thing is, it came out pretty dark. You have to look pretty hard to find out if its black, or blue. Combine that w/ wenge neck, & ebony fingerboard... its one cosmetically dark looking bass. One that shows finger prints really badly.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I know how you feel... I just finished a project with my jazz bass, and now I am thinking about putting a MM-style or soapbar pickups in it.

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    make your own!
    It's really not all that hard, check out the one I made for my jazz:
    http://lordgoogle.com/bass/mim_fretless_jazz.html
    That one's a baltic birch plywood test, I'm currently working on the flamed maple final version.

I'd suggest 1/8" or maybe 3/16" thick wood (thinboards.com is a good source), I needed 9" wide for mine so you could probably get away with the same. Then it's just a matter of tracing your shape, cutting carefully around where the neck goes (and testing often for a good fit), and mounting it under your knobs. I used a hand-held jigsaw and finished it with a file and some sandpaper.

Heck, if I had one of those basses I'd make one for you. It's easy and fun!

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, interesting... I dont really need something that's 24" long, but fully expect 9-10" wide would be about right.

Did you talk w/ these guys, or just order straight from them? Guess I need to find a cheap pickguard & measure to see how long I'd need it.

7. shameandspite

shameandspite

Oct 12, 2005
    I found some doorskin/cayak material at a lumberyard near me that worked very well, despite my incompatibility with hand carving. Handheld Jig Saw +1, and a dremel. for roughing your sand, then a sanding block to put a bevel on the edges. So far, its held up better than the stock plastic one and for five bucks.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I actually have only talked to them. I bought my wood through someone else and am seriously regretting it after finding this guy. (Dirk is his name.) He takes his wood seriously, unlike the guy I got mine from. >_<