1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

custom picks to promote your band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pushbuttonfour, Mar 4, 2013.

1. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

Dec 20, 2012
    There are sites where you can buy 100 custom picks for around $35. You can put a picture on the front, presumably your band logo, and words on the back (possibly "@yourbandhere," to link to a twitter account or soemthing). Is this a good investment? You can throw themout at concerts, etc. I just like the idea of playing with a custom pick. Anyone ever ordered custom picks?

(btw am I posting too much? I tend to do that) :bag:

2. Custom picks are always fun and a nice touch, but I'd say it doesn't have the marketing power of a flyer or a sticker. Nice and economical giveaways for memorabilia, though.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's a lot of money for something you just want to hand out to people IMO.

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    And that most people will just throw away.

5. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    For a giveaway, I think they're a pretty good idea, since the guitarists (and many bass players) use them to play anyhow. Of course they get cheaper when you buy higher quantities. Besides, everyone has stickers and flyers. Got to be different to get ahead, right?

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    100 picks for $35.00 that to me is to expensive and 100 picks will not last long. I used to give people pics from all the big bands laying on the stage etc in my concert security days. Most people just shoved them in their pockets not caring what band was on them. IMO there are better ways to do merch than picks.

7. 35 bones for 100 picks seems a little steep, do some more shopping around. i think it's a good idea tho.

8. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Stickers and tees are decent marketing b/c other people see them.

A pick doesn't do much to raise your public profile.

9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

Mar 14, 2011
    We do picks. They are cool. The guitar player will throw a few out during the show and then they are on our merch table for $1. Ours are two sided black and white only which keeps the cost down. I can't remember the cost or who we had to do them...only done them once. The pick is more of a personal item to a fan but I agree, not a big promotional item. Stickers will give you a better bang for the buck.

m.

10. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    I always wanted to have rubber fingers to throw out in the audience, (you know cuz a lot of bass players play with their fingers...)

11. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    It's only useful to other guitar players. Most of your audience shouldn't be other guitar players. I'd avoid wasting the money.

Also, one trip through the wash in the back pocket of somebody's jeans will be the end of whatever you printed on them.

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    good, i need something to give people when our art band plays at the museum and the tshirts and posters ended up costing me 400