1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cyber Soda's first build. You've seen a million.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cyber Soda, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    So I was up until about 4:00 AM trying thinking about how I would mod my P bass into a P/J, and then I got into stripping it, refinishing etc. etc., but then I looked at it again and thought about the history I had with it. I have very little history with woodworking, a very basic idea on how to wire the damn thing, but I want to make a singlecut P/J out of alder (stay cheap, make it pretty) sandwiched between two pieces of buckeye burl (still cheap hopefully... maybe a veneer? I haven't got that all figured out yet) with Bart pickups that I plan to make wood covers matching the top along with wood knobs. Neck/head is still up for personal debate. I know that I would like at least one detuner, but I may do all four if it comes out decently. It's my first build, I expect a little heartbreak, some trouble, etc. but I'm used to all of that, it'll be a fun project. If I come out with a decent bass in the process, why not? :hyper:

2. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    I should probably mention the fact that I've already started working on sketches on sketch paper that I do not remember the size of, but I can rest either/any of my own or my friend's basses on it, and I'm sure just about any other 4-6 string. That's beyond the point though. And it's going to take a loooooong time to do this all, because I need to gather money to gather parts. I also plan to buy some basswood to practice on.

3. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    sounds neat. There are tons of threads around here detailing the many steps so be sure to read up on everything before you get started. I've never worked with buckeye, but i've heard it can be a 'difficult' wood, so consider that when planning for your first wood project. I suggest you consider a walnut top as they are a bit easier to work and usually cheaper.

good luck

4. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Thank you Steve, and yeah, I've been reading up on everything I can. Buckeye burl is a difficult wood to work with that I've heard of as well, and I reconsidered it a few times, but I'm not sure I want to give it up just yet. It's my favorite wood, and a hard one to work with? Sounds like a project!

Edit: I maaaaay just reconsider it. Even after what I just said, I do know that walnut is a very pretty wood imo, and easier to work with/cheaper may be more effective then digging myself a hole to see if I can get out of it. lol

5. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Now also considering making a wood bridge. Sorry if this seems like I'm bumping, I'm not, I'm keeping this as a personal log as well.

6. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Founder, Jan Van Hove Basses
    wood bridge is also what I'm going for for my first build, so I guess we'll have tips to trade... :p

7. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Oh okay, cool. I could always use some help :D (a looot of help)

No really. :help:

8. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Question, does anyone have a link where I can figure out exactly where I would be drilling holes for the pickups? I don't have my scale exactly yet, but still, anything at all?

9. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
  10. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
  11. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Can anyone suggest a good wood for a fret/fingerboard that you think would match nicely? I'm considering another burl, but I don't want to go too over-the-top.

Edit: Realistically there's places I can look for this, I should just go there.

12. JanVanHove

JanVanHove

Apr 27, 2009
    Brussels, Belgium
    Founder, Jan Van Hove Basses
    burl for a fingerboard? that doesn't sound kosher...

I mean burls are relatively soft, and isn't that not a desirable characteristic for a fingerboard?

13. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Excuse me, you're right, I'd meant birdseye maple. lol

14. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Alright, I've done a little considering. What about gaboon ebony or wenge for the fretboard if I go with buckeye burl with a tiger maple neck, and I don't know what to do if I use walnut... But yeah. I assume anyone who has visited thinks these would be horrid together, or that it has a bit too much going on, even possibly that I being a beginner don't know what I'm doing with these. Well, truth is, I don't. I've looked around, I've read a lot, but nothing compares to the experience that others have gotten with wood working, or just working with guitars themselves. I'd never claim to be or say I necessarily want to be a luthier, but why wouldn't a bassist want to see how everything works. If the basses were put on earth already, I would probably be taking them apart right now, as I have before. I know that it's not impossible to make them, so that's specifically what I'm going for. I want to make an instrument. Not to mention... I mean, come on, who doesn't want to make a bass to their own specs? Especially when in the end you can go "LOOK WHAT I DID" :D.

15. Buckeye is a very difficult wood to work with it will test your patience to the limit. But it is worth it as it is gorgeous in the end!!!!

B

16. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Yeah, I've been hearing that a lot. I'm trying to get everything planed out, I've got a few sketches together, etc. etc.. I may just end up doing the buckeye burl top, but it WILL be a difficult task. That's why I said I'm considering a veneer, but anything over the entire body. Buckeye burl blocks are expensive :rolleyes:

17. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    After looking around, I think I may just go for the walnut top, but I'm not going to sandwich it anymore, I'm actually going to approach the step-by-step walk through in the how-to's.

18. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    ditto on "Make Your Own Electric Guitar". Melvyn Hiscock does an excellent job at describing the design process, and things to consider while making a guitar that fits you. Which measurements are most crucial and how to figure them out.

I'd also recommend a book with a confusingly similar name. "Make Your Own electric guitar & bass" by Dennis Waring and David Raymond. It has great detailed photos of the tasks needed like cutting, drilling holes and finishing. It would be very helpful for people without a lot of woodworking experience. http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Electric-Guitar-Bass/dp/1895569702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242237079&sr=1-1

19. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Okay, I'll pick it up. I really do need help with all of this, and unnecessary trial and error... there's no money for that. lol Not to say I don't expect some problems, of course I do. Just saying things I can prevent I would like to.

Sounds like me! lol