D-string 7th fret buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mikeamusssss, Sep 21, 2004.

1. I didn't know where else to put this, so Misc board it is. I get alot of fret buzz on the 7th fret of the D string. Nowhere else, no other frets or any other strings. Only the 7th fret of the D string. Anyone know what the cause of this is, and/or how it can be fixed? :eyebrow:
  2. I think you want the boys in setup to help you with your dead spot.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    First, are you sure it's fret buzz?

You need to rule out sympathetic vibrations- detune the D string down to C and play it. Is the buzz still at the 7th fret or did it move to the 9th?

Make sure it's not a loose tuner, loose truss rod, or something at the bridge.

Second, change out the string- you may have a bad string.

If you try all that and it's definitely the fret, then either your 7th fret has a low spot under the D string or the 8th fret has a high spot, again under the D string. Hopefully it would be the latter, in which case a tech can lower the 8th fret for you (just that fret or do a partial re-dressing of the frets, the latter being the better but more expensive option). If the 7th fret is too low, you'll either have to lower all the other frets or replace the 7th fret.

Don't have a heart attack- this thing happens. Over the life span of a well-played instrument, you can expect to refret the guitar a few times.
  4. I tuned the D string to C and it stayed at the 7th fret. I checked the truss rod, tuners, bridge, and the strings are all new. How could i check to see if it is the 8th or 7th fret? Also, do you have a ballpark estimate on how much this would cost to fix? :(