1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D tuning better on Precision than Jazz ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by smellah, Oct 28, 2013.

1. smellah

smellah

Jul 19, 2013
    Hello,

Would anyone have an opinion on the capacity of the Precision
    to handle D tuning.
    I own an American Jazz from 1996. Since I play it half in D, half in E tuning, I find it less capable of the D tuning. Espacially when changed every two songs. My idea is then to have a second fender to play the D tuning songs.
    Therfore I'm wondering if a Precision would handle it better or not.

Thank you all.

Souheil

2. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I can share my experience. My MIM P with a Bill Lawrence P-46 is my best sounding drop D bass. Next best is my MIM J with Dimarzio Model J pups and a Warmoth P neck. Next best is my all original 76 P with an A width neck. The worst one is my set neck Hamer Cruisebass with original P/J pups. All have the same DR strings. Not sure if that helps or not, but my conclusion would be, it depends. :)

3. smellah

smellah

Jul 19, 2013
    Thank you Jad,

I'm buying next week a second hand American Standard Precision. I'll try to use it in D and my Jazz will stay in E.

We'll see how it goes. Anyhow, I'll probably change the bridge for some Babicz.

Have good weekend.

Souheil

4. roden

roden

Aug 30, 2011
    Sweden,Uppsala
    I think it has to do more with string gauge and setup