D'Addario BT - Drop D?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stan_da_man, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Having experimented with BEAD tuning on my bass, I much prefer the E standard normally found on 4 strings... not to mention the lower gauges!

My band at present is playing a lot of songs in drop D. I tried the .120 B but couldn't get on with it - I think the sound of an open string sounds better.

I was using D'Addario XLs which sounded really good for my purposes. I've never tried the balanced tension sets and was looking to get the EXL170BT set. The .107 E will be much more manageable and there will be no nut seating issues.

Looking at their tension charts, the E tuned to D will be a couple lbs under everything else. Has anyone who has used this set of strings had issues when drop tuning? Is the tension still pretty even if so?

2. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    The set will have equal tensions in EADG, when you detune a string by a tone the tension falls to 79%, however that's still better than using a more traditional set. You can probably fit a .110 which would help a little.
    Roughly, if you are switching between EADG and DADG the best compromise is found by adding .005 to the lowest gauge of an equal-tensions set, then the lowest string is a little tighter in EADG and a little looser in DADG.

Stan_da_man likes this.
  3. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    I'm also looking at the Fender 8250s which has a taperwound .110 E.

I have a high mass bridge on my bass but it is not string through. Would the tapered E be okay?

4. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    String through body versus top-load is irrelevant, as is a high mass bridge (it's the mass of the bass that matters). These are both marketing gimmicks used by manufacturers to try and convince you it makes a significant difference.
    Taperwound will be ok top-loaded as long as the ball end anchor point is a standard distance from the saddle.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    However since the gauges are 45 65 85 110 it will be less tension balanced than the EXL170 set.
    SInce you like D'Addarios perhaps build a custom set .045 .060 .080 .110? But that may not be much different to the EXL170 set.
    Or, there are some sets around designed for drop D.