D'Addario Chromes: .040--.095 vs .040--.100

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by matante, Jan 18, 2017.

1. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Has anyone here experimented with both gauges of the light gauge Chromes?

I'd like to know what you think about the differences in tone and tension between them.

2. I too would like to try the lighter gauge chromes, with the .95 e string. I almost got a set about a month ago but the store was sold out and I needed strings.

The standard chromes are about at the high limit of where I like the tension in flats, but I love the sound of chromes. If the lighter gauge offers the same tone with less felt tension, I'm a lifer.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes, to me the 40-95 set is more balanced in both tone and tension.

JGbassman and matante like this.
  4. matante likes this.
  5. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've done that but honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. For some reason, the .95 E sounds more like the rest of the set...to me.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've used both on my Godin A4 fretless. The .095 set feels a lot better. Tone is the same.

JGbassman and matante like this.
  7. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    When I was usuing Chromes, that's exactly what I did, and they were a great improvement. I always disliked how tight the D string was in all the D'addario sets I used to use until they came out with balanced tension rounds, and I applied that logic to Chromes and put together a couple sets of 40-55-75-95, and no more overly tight D strings!

stephenleejp, JGbassman and michael_t like this.
  9. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I found it cheaper to buy the ECB80 set and also a .55 than buying single strings.

The next step up in balanced tension Chromes is a big one, feelwise...45-60-80-105.

10. This is where I prefer the Fender 9050CL. They come in those exact gauges in a factory set, and for only $22.95 @BSO!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Doghouse_Oli and tallboybass like this.
  11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    I am contemplating trying a set of chromes (first time with flats for me) on my Squier P-bass. I am pretty new to bass playing and all I know, strings-wise, is that the nickel-plated steel Dunlop roundwounds, .045-.105, that I have on it now feel okay to me, tension-wise, and I Iike the sound of them a lot better now that they are several years old and kind of dead.

I can't find a tension chart for the Dunlop strings to compare, but I keep reading that flats often feel tighter than rounds in the same gauges. As a ballpark guess, would a .040-.095 set of chromes be likely to feel like similar tension to a set of .045-.105 rounds? Or .045-.100?

Muchas Gracias...

tallboybass likes this.
  12. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes, that's why I gravitated toward the 40-95 set...feels close to my Dunlop SBN 45-105 set, tension-wise.

mexicanyella likes this.
  13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    Thank you; I'll try that set on my next string swap.

14. rodv66

rodv66 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    Put Chromes on my Gibby Tbird and took it to practice last night and they just didn't cut through the band. I had to drop bass and crank the treble and mids to be heard at all. We are a Crue tribute act and just surprised that a new set of Chromes just wouldn't cut it. The bass came with Chromes and I tried a new set after hearing positive things about them. Going to have to slap on some roundwounds, and probably need a set up after that.

15. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I put the ECB81 on my BB424 when I first got the bass. It sounded great, felt great, and was fun to play. Great sound, and a little bright for flats being it was new. It also requires a different finger attack to get smooth tones across all the strings. Can't really dig in the E. And it required a whole new set up for optimal sound: Pickup and string height adjustments, and intonation adjustment. After a month, I missed the nickel rounds, so I put them back on for more diverse playing styles. Once I get another bass, the flats will go back on. It seems flats have that extra tension that gives it a tighter punch in the lower frequencies. And they're really easy on the fingers.

UPDATE: I put a set of ECB84 on the BB424x. They feel more balanced, and have a more even volume vs the ECB81.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    wschenk likes this.
  16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have had TI flats on my CS 55 precision for six months. Recently I tried a set of the light .95 chromes but just could not get them to work. Sound balance between strings was terrible with the E string way too loud and boomy and the A and D strings noticeably down in comparison to the E and G. I did not like the feel and gave up, putting the TI flats back on. Last week I tried chromes again with the .100 set and this time the result was totally different. Nice tight E tone, good balance between the strings and a great feel.
    Really surprised me, in a very pleasant way.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022