1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'addario Chromes or Rotosound SM77's?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TjMetalhead, Apr 11, 2018.

1. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    I've been curious about the rotosounds for a while. Lately I've been using D'addario ECB84 set, .40-.100. They sound great, but I'm looking for a set of flats with a little more bite. I've heard from other users that the rotosounds have a roundwound sound at first. They sell a light gauge set that are the same size as the D'addarios and the total tension is 6lbs in difference (Chromes 172lbs, Rotos 178lbs). Another great perk as that the rotos are selling $12 cheaper than the d'addarios online. Are the rotosounds worth looking into?

2. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    I would agree that the Roto flats are a bit more bite at first.....
    The LaBella flats are punchy and warm...
    The trick I do with the Roto flats is I hammer down slightly with the right hand fingers...this bounces the string off the fret, thus producing a bell like attack with the flats...

3. TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Luckily I have a fairly light touch when playing. How do you like the rotos? I tried La Bella low tensions and while I liked how smooth and flexible they were the tone was too mellow and cloppy for my tastes.

4. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    Bass on what you describe ....your light touch and the tensions you like and tone..
    I highly recommend the following strings..
    Thomastik JF344 Flatwound Long Scale 4-String Jazz Bass Strings

TN WOODMAN and Pantone 333 like this.
  5. TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hmmm I've heard of those and was curious about them, but I've heard they have a mellow tone and they are way way too expensive for my budget. I can't justify spending $80 on a set of strings.

6. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    Thomastik....not real mellow to me...they sound amazing and outlast other brands by 4 times..

I would try the ROTO RS77LD flat wounds ......
    Reasonably priced ...

TjMetalhead likes this.
  7. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I have chromes on a p
    and rotos on a j

once they are both broken in, I prefer the sound of the chromes, and I am primarily a jazz player

ACtually thinking of going back to ghs flats on the j

but roto tapes are my thing right now---those are amazing--just a bit of tone knob works wonders with em either way

TjMetalhead likes this.
  8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Rotos have bite at first but mellow out quickly.
    If you want more bite in a flatwound I would suggest Ernie Ball Cobalt Flatwounds.

Coolhandjjl and TjMetalhead like this.
  9. TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    I did check out a demo video on youtube and the Thomastik flats did sound pretty great compared to the chromes. I just wish I was making more money lol.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    I don't mind that, I prefer the sound of flats as they age. I've tried the ernie ball cobalts last year and I'm mixed. They did sound pretty good on a jazz bass but absolute crap on my Sterling Ray. I've had issues with EB's quality control. I got a set with the E & A rusted. Tried contacting EB about it and they never got back to me.

11. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Once broken in, I don’t notice a whole lot of difference between Roto 77, Chromes, or Fender 9050. They all sound great IMO. EB cobalts definitely step up the zing factor if you want RW sounds from flats. I don’t care for them but some folks love them. For more highs and definition there’s nothing like TI jazz flats. I got them for $60 on Amazon; not cheap but they supposedly last forever.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  12. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    To my ears, the Rotos have more mids than Chromes.

Might consider GHS Pressurewounds. They have great mids, lows and pleasant highs. They have something of a a unique sound and feel much better than rounds. Something everyone should try.

TN WOODMAN and michael_t like this.
  13. TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Ha, I thought this thread was almost dead. I ended up sticking with the chromes, they feel and sound the best. Had issues with EB cobalts and too scooped for my taste. I tried the pressure wounds last month and didn't care for them, had kinda gravely tone that didn't work for me.

14. You should really reconsider TI flats. This guy does a great job showcasing these strings. Lots of roundwound characteristics:

cerrem likes this.
  15. TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Wow! That was a really great demo, just the sound I was looking for. Well, maybe later on this summer. I can't quite afford these strings yet but once I get some stuff paid off I'll definitely take a look at these.

16. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I have TIs on several things. Mostly Pbasses--one is a real 1958 Precision and the other a 1963. TIs sound nothing like this guy's sound on anything I've eve had or tried them on. His must be brand new. It's been a long time since I've had new TIs (because they last forever), but once the bright wears off--they thump with some extra mids, unique and all their own.