1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'Addario Chromes question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rip Topaz, Apr 24, 2015.

1. I've been using the ECB81 set of Chromes on my P-bass for the last few years and love them.

I wondering if anyone uses the medium gauge set (ECB82) and how big of a difference in feel and tone. I switched to a heavier gauge set of rounds on one of my basses and love them, so I was wondering people's opinions on the medium gauge Chromes. I actually prefer the heavier rounds on the bass I use them on, and wondering how big of a difference do the heavier Chromes feel.

Anyone?

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    More tension than ecb81 for sure.

shawshank72 likes this.
  3. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Was a thread on this last week or so. Look for it further down :)

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Absolutely!
    Just sold my 3 month old set in a package deal.
    Very stiff, I have a set of EB flats on my other bass in the same size and its a night and day difference.
    But very musical.
    Chromes have such a great tone/volume level from string to string but i just hate that it takes so long for them to settle down.

Yahboy likes this.
  5. Thanks, guys. I decided to go for the heavier gauge and give them a shot.

I've got the ECB81 set on my 60th Anniversary P and love them. Went for the ECB82 set on my backup MIM P.

6. Figured I should report back.

The medium gauge Chromes showed up today, so obviously they won't be broken in. But I was able to install with no issues, and the difference between the medium and light gauge doesn't feel that drastic.

I'm a Chromes lover, and have been since I first tried them in 2009. This set won't tarnish that love. They feel great, just the right amount of tension.

They'll definitely take quite a while to achieve their played-in tone but I'm more of a Steve Harris flats player than I am a Jamerson player. So I dig the brightness of them while they settle in.

If I should happen to wear out the set of light gauge Chromes that are on my main P, I'll be bumping that bass up to the medium set.

Klonk likes this.