1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

D'Addario Helicore Megathread

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BassmanI, May 16, 2012.

1. OK folks, here's why I love my set of D'Addario Helicore Hybrid strings. Basically, they feel good, sound good, stay in tune, and brought my bass (Franz Hoffmann Prelude) to life. They've got great response to both arco and pizz and so far, will stand up to the most demanding play. Heck, I've already turned my teacher on to them (he's going to replace his 8 year old Red Wraps with Helicores), and another bassist is interested in the strings and is going to try them on my bass. Plus, with the lighter tension than Spirocores, they'll give the Spiros a real run for their money, and speaking of money, about $80-100 less than Spiros.

peskatore likes this.
  2. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences Bassman! I agree that D'Addario makes excellent strings and that they are a GREAT value!!!

I tried the Orchestral set when they first came out, and I experienced the same thing as you: They "Woke Up" my bass! I happily used them for ten or twelve years after that. Absolutely WONDERFUL strings!!! :)

I'm anxious to try their newest offering for orchestral bass: the Kaplans!

Joe

3. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I love the hybrid lights. Great for jazz and solo arco playing. I'm back on Evah weichs but I still think about going back and trying them out again. I heard they slightly changed the formula recently and I would love to give them a go.

Amazing value too.

4. Dimmik

Dimmik

Apr 16, 2012
    I have the mediums on my bass but my instructor liked them so much that he ordered the lights for this sweet bass he has that he never used because he couldn't get the sound he wanted. The lights sound almost like guts on his bass and now the bass is his regular jazz show bass. He only uses his other one for classical now.

5. How would you describe the tonal differences between the light and mediums? How are they different under the fingers? I use the mediums which I'm enjoying. Switched from Spiros.

Thank you.

6. Dimmik

Dimmik

Apr 16, 2012
    It depends on the bass as far as sound. But like others here, I found the helicores wake up the bass. As far as feel, the mediums give me more throw which I like because I have long, spidery but pretty strong fingers. I have a lot of thump in my pizzicato and that extra tension absorbs my heavy-handed approach. The slap is tricky. Too much and it clacks a bit too loud for my tastes. The lights slap a bit better, I think. My instructor is older and he prefers that light touch. He loves the lights. He thanked me for turning him onto this brand because nothing else has made his bass sound as good. But he likes my mediums and says they don't bother his fingers as much as other mediums have and sound so nice--lots of growl. Double basses need to growl.

Bar Star and pmad_bass like this.
  7. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    I have a sealed package of hybrids. They were a gift from someone who didn't know what string I like. I play on Spiro Mittels now. I had intended to sell them or trade them. Maybe I will give them a try. Or, if you're really in love with them and have a set of Spiro Reds, maybe we can work something out.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I wasn't a big fan of Helicores. They always seemed to lack the projection of Spirocores. However I just put a set of Hybrid Light gauge(extension E set) on my old Czech bass, and they sound terrific. They are loud, clear, and easy to play. I played 3 gigs with them this weekend and they have started to settle down nicely. Not sure if D'Addario changed anything other than new packaging, but I am pretty happy with them right now.

9. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I don't know about the Hybrids, but I just tried a set of the Helicore Orchestral series and they have definitely changed from when they first came on the market.

- Steve

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have Helicore Hybrid mediums on my new chadwick. Thus far I am liking them. These are the only strings I've ever had on this bass, so I don't feel comfy comparing them to other strings, but I don't forsee myself trying anything different for a while.

11. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    I have had experience with Helicore Orchestral Mediums, Hybrid Mediums and Pizz (Prolly mediums.)

The Orchestral set is really easy to bow. I played on them for five years and i think i outplayed their lifespan, but i also have no idea if they were new when i got the bass from KC Strings.

I have played the Pizz set on a bass at school and i hate them. No bow response, and they were just too much.

I think part of the reason i got the bass i did a few months back was because it sounded so huge and so good and played so easily. It had hybrids on it, and after taking them off for a few months for Evah Weichs, im back on with them for the summer months. A little less responsive to bow, and a little less forgiving with harmonics, they freaking boom.

I reccomend anyone looking for a great backup string set or a change to give them a shot. I have no idea how old they are because this was a professional rental bass at KC Strings, but i can tell you they feel great.

I want to A/B with another set of Evah Orchestrals but thats 200 dollars i do not have right now.

I love them and they make my bass loud.

In fact im gonna go play on them right now.

12. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    That's how every one of ours posts should end ;)

- Steve

13. I was watching my bass teacher last night at his regular Friday gig. I brought my upright because I was rehearsing earlier and I wasn't comfortable leaving it in the car. After the set was done he tried my bass out and was thouroughly impressed with the sound clarity and feel of the Helicores, so he's ordering a set for his Kay bass.

14. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Bassman,

You DEFINITELY made the right decision when you brought your bass in rather than leaving it in the car. I know it can be a little weird sometimes- walking into a place with something as conspicuous as a DB- I always feel like people are thinking that I EXPECT to be asked to sit in!

On the other hand, it's great to get to hear your bass from the house! As the player, you usually don't get to hear what your bass "really" sounds like! It was really cool of your teacher to give you that opportunity!

Joe

15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My Hybrid Lights are breaking in now. They don't sound like the Hybrids I've used before. I dig them. Dark, but with nice growl and clarity.

16. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    How is the tension on the lights? Less than weichs?

17. Slam Fan

Slam Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    I am currently using Evah Pirazzi weichs on my new Schnitzer Cleveland bass. I'm thinking about trying the Helicore Hybrid lights. I'm looking for a low tension string that is good for pizz and arco. Anyone out there have experience trying both? How do they compare?
    Thanks

18. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I have and really like them both. The Evah are a bit softer under the bow. I think they have a slightly bigger pizz sound. However the hybrids have a touch more growl.
    .... Both worked well on both my basses. If you check out my YouTube channel 'minor turnaround' has Evah weichs and the rest hybrid lights.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chalmersg

19. Slam Fan

Slam Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Thanks for posting your youtube clips. That really helped. I can hear that the Evahs have a softer more rounded tone and the Helicores have more growl.
    Nice playing by the way.
    All the best,
    Chris

20. nicechuck

nicechuck

Jul 9, 2007
    I have Helicore Hybrid lights on my bass now and Love them. Great growl, great definition, and feel