1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addario Nickle, DR Lowrider, Rotosounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by santucci218, Sep 6, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Which one do you guys like most? What lasts the longest?

Also, off-topic type questions. for 34'' scale, what is the thickest you can use for an E string? I see a lot of 110's but never higher for a 4 string set.

2. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

I prefer the DR'S ,never cared for the roto's ,I have a set of dr sunbeams (nickel)on now.I suppose you cuold buy a light gauge 5 string set to get a bigger E by using the B.I wonder if a thicker string gives of a deeper sound?

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    yeah but what is too thick for an E string? I mean, there is a pack with a .130 B infront of me, but i dont think that would work out so well...

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I mainly use D'Addario's they are high tension strings and seem to last a long time. I gave up on DR's they are too inconsistent. Seemed like I was getting one bad string in every other set so I stopped using them. Roto's I stopped using ages ago just not my sound anymore. Some of the Fender are real nice hold there sound for a long time.

String size to me is all about the sound you want and what your bass sounds good with. Its about what you want and what your bass speaks best with.

5. Funkdrawer4

Good question.Maybe start a new thread with it .What is too big for an e string?
    I prefer the dr's because of their low tension.THe fender 7150's are nice and they are cheap on ebay 17.99

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i get a employee discount, so price doesnt matter =]

ill start a new thread about a thick e string.

7. Funkdrawer4

Could you also ask if the thicker strings sound different than thinner ? maybe

8. I like DR's High Beams (COATED) they sound great and last forever

9. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    The largest gauge E string I've seen is a .115. I forget what brand, but it was a cheaper one at GC. I've found that .110 is plenty thick enough for drop C tuning. Any lower than that, you should use a B string. Some brands have a high enough tension that even in drop C, it feels like what a light gauge should feel like in standard tuning. Good stuff.

10. DasUrks

DasUrks

Apr 21, 2008
  11. 80min700mb

80min700mb

Aug 4, 2008
    In my opinion, DRs tend to last the longest, but Rotosounds are my favourite sounding.

12. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    I have a pack of GHS boomers with .115 E string

I ll send them to yah for free!

too big for me.......

al

13. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    oh,

I used to be just rotos, but now I switched to GHS...... they are "slippery" and i can slide easier and move positions quicker

and.....I have a new five string.. schecter elite 5string neckthru...it has dadarrios I think

the ends are the little colors....d adarrios, right?

al

14. Anyone else has the same experience?

15. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    IME anything with the letters DR before it will sound better and last longer.

They are more expensive but it's worth it.

16. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    +1

17. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I recommend DR as well ... I used D'Addario for a few years, and while there's nothing wrong with them I found Lo-Riders to be much better when I finally made the switch. Better harmonics, lasts longer IME, excellent growl, perfect tension, and they seem to make slides and horizontal vibrato easier than before.

18. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    For me, the answer to the original question depends on what bass I'm playing. My fender style basses seem to pair really well with regular old cheap Daddario XL nickel roundwounds. Nice balance of string life, feel, bright tone, and consistency that works great for my fender types and a lot of other basses I've tried.

For my Peavey T-40 I'm really liking DR Lo-riders (stainless). I tried nickel daddarios, but they weren't bright enough to get the ric-type tones I wanted out of the T-40. The DR's are much nicer strings, have a great tone, have decent life and hit the tone I'm looking for, more or less.

Rotos are tricky... they're the roughest strings I've ever played (well, the stainless "swing bass" strings, which is what most people refer to as "rotos"), but no other strings I've tried can get that exact "roto" tone. That Geddy Lee / Chris Squire zing... Lo-riders come close, and feel better on my hands, but the tone isn't quite the same. Rotos also don't seem to last all that long, and the ultra-bright tone fades within a few days. Mine usually die completely within a month. For my general day to day stainless string usage, I'm sticking with Lo-riders for the time being.

19. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island