1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

D'addarrio Custom Set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dragoon419, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Hi.

Will a custom 5 string set of D'addarrio XLs, 45-105 with a tapered 130 B string, be balanced?

Thanks for any responses.

2. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    There are VERY few pre-packaged sets that are properly balanced.

3. But will the set be playable?

4. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Sure, I don't think anybody puts out sets that are actually unplayable, they just don't match up as well as they should.

If you're definitely going with D'Addario, the beauty of that is they list all the UW's and tensions of their strings on their site, so you can build your own set from singles if you want perfect balance/even tension.

5. Well the set I have right now are DR Lo-Riders, 45-105 with an non-tapered 130 B.

6. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    What do you tune to, what scale length is your bass and are you happy with the tension of the .130?

7. I tune standard. I use a 34". The tension of the B is good.

I'm just wondering if it is safe to mix a 45-105 set with a 130 B. After all, if DR does it, it should be safe, no?

8. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Sure, it's safe. The tension of your B string will be around 35 lbs. and your E string will be around 40 lbs.

9. Thanks Bass Below!

I can't wait to slap 'em on and start playing.