Daft Punk bass sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by batmilk, May 13, 2013.

1. Hello friends

So I've been listening to the occasional dance/house track lately, Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" being one of them, and classic 90s stuff also

Can anyone tell me how to achieve such a punchy, warm sound as in these two videos? I really would love to reproduce this, it sounds so awesome. It sounds as though it's highly compressed? I have a Warwick MIK 5-string Corvette and a American Std Jazz, as well as a multi-effects pedal which I love to play around with, and a Hartke LH500 amp and XL400 cabinet... anyone got any ideas? Vids below

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I don't know how to get that bass sound, but want to just give a thumbs up for a great sounding bass track :)

3. Just another note: I realise a lot of these dance/house tunes are produced on computers or with synths, would the two songs I posted ever be played live/recorded with a bass guitarist?

4. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    Get Lucky sounds like an active jazz bass style 5-string to me - both pickups on, plucking kind of near the bridge pickup.

Compression too - medium fast attack.

I'm less sure about the kind of bass on the Madison Avenue track, similar compression to the Daft Punk though.

To my ears, most of the awesomeness in the bass in this track comes from the bass players feel, lazy and pushy at different moments. Its also sampled/looped rather than played throughout the whole track

Hope that helps :)

5. Thanks, I definitely think you're onto something

6. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    This sounds pretty dead on to me.

7. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Guys you have to understand daft punk uses a lot of filtering on their tracks, and without that filtered sound you will never nail the bass tones.

A good example of an awesome player in that genre is Fred Falke. I believe he uses an active Jazz bass, so that aspect is correct.

But if you want to nail the tone, you need to have the filter they use - The Mutator.

Here is the virtual version - http://www.kvraudio.com/product/mutine_by_mokafix_audio

8. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Also for that deep bass pump it's an electronic thing (using a compressor in a side chain via software). I had it explained in depth in a Cubase class and it was quite interesting. They did it first. Quite cool. Hope you can cop that tone. It is nice indeed.

9. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    Nunovsky likes this.
  10. I think it sounds like a jazz bridge PU ^

11. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Sounds to me like Daft Punk was trying to get the same tone, etc that Bernard Edwards got on Chic tunes like Freak Out and Good Times. I think he used a BC Rich and a Stingray back then

12. Pff. Those songs are pretty much iconic for the sought after 'p with flats tone'.

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Big +1 especially to the bolded portion. And I do believe that Nathan East played on this track. Here's a nice bass version that cops an appropriate tone.

14. dubhnight

dubhnight

Jul 26, 2012
    This sounds pretty much like a PBass, or musicman, with nice old flats, into the desk through a beefy preamp. That said, the majority of this sound is in the fingers. Bernie Edwards had it, among many others.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Pretty much exactly what they were going for. I watched some promo vids where they talk to Pharrell about how he got involved with the robots. They love old funk.

This sound should be do able with your Jazz and a lot of compression. I wouldn't think you could get that out of your Wick but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

16. It seems to me there is a subtle filter, at least it sounded that way the first time I heard the track.

Are there analog analogs to this digital mutine filter? Was it based on a particular analog filter?

17. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.

18. Thanks for the insightful replies everyone, I'll definitely look into it all and try to make a recording or two

19. bassaram

bassaram

Dec 31, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    On this topic, it's gonna be pretty awesome to hear all the bass stuff if they release multitracks for remixes...

20. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    They filter everything. Its stronger on prior releases.

If you just want to play the song live, then it is not a big deal.
    If you want to make disco/house in the French style (live bass) it definitely makes a difference.

Yes he filter is called the Mutator. It will not be easy to find one that works well.

Driven Crane likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 25, 2021