1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Daisy chain preamps - Shadow and Headway

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Fredrik E. Nilsen, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Hello! A short technical question:

I have a DB (Czech-Ease) with a Shadow SH RB-PRO Rockabilly System (with bridge pickup and fingerboard transducer). I also have a Headway EDB2 preamp. I often do gigs with both DB and bass guitar. Is it possible to connect the Shadow to the Headway and then to the amp (Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2)? That way I can also connect the BG to the Headway (second channel) to avoid switching cables during the gig. (I know I can test it but I don't want to risk destroying something).

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Assuming a reasonably even gain structure running the Shadow into the Headway is not likely to hurt anything. You could also get a Boss LS-2 Line Switcher and keep the DB and EB signal chains completely separate before the amp. New the LS-2 is around $100USD and it works well.

Fredrik E. Nilsen and drurb like this.
  3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    In a word, "yes." You will not destroy anything. As a general rule, it's good to keep the signal chain as simple as possible. If I understand correctly, you want to maintain the mixing functionality of the Shadow pre-amp while using the Headway as your device to choose between DB and BG. It's important to adjust the levels appropriately so as not to overload stages. Too hot a signal from the Shadow pre-amp could overload the input of the Headway. You'll know if it happens because you'll hear distortion.

Fredrik E. Nilsen and Jeff Bonny like this.
  4. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Or you can use an even cheaper A/B box. There is a Behringer model that is $20-30 that works fine. I used this awhile with my EUB going into a pre and then an A/B pedal where my BG joined the chain. This worked OK until I got a two channel preamp.

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Nice setup, the Headway EDB-2 has a channel assign switch, that I regularly use for doubling. Provided you have an active Electric Bass, you could run the Shadow Pre into Channel 1 on the EDB-2 and assign the EQ section to your DB, while you run the EB into Channel 2 and bypass the EQ, using the Pre Amp on your guitar. My only concern is that you have three different preamp stages between the Shadow pickup and pre amp, the Headway EDB-2 and the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2. so it's a very complicated EQ setup. But it's worth a shot.

Ric

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  6. Thank you, everyone. It worked out perfect. Running low gain on the Shadown, EQ on the shadow and amp flat, doing EQ-ing on the Headway. No noise, great sound.