daisychaining cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frank_hfc, Aug 20, 2005.

1. frank_hfc

Aug 9, 2005
    i've got a peavey max 700 (700w @ 2 ohms) driving two avatar cabs, a 4x10 and a 1x15, each at 4 ohms. is there any difference between having each cab cabled directly to the amp or daisychaining the cabs?

| |
    cab cab

2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Nope you're ganna get 2ohms either way.

What ever you do don't hook another speaker to it, if you do you risk blowing up your amp (although it is a peavey).

'm familiar with the max 700 it has 2 1/4 speaker inputs on the back, if you hook 2 4ohm cabs to each 1/4 plug you will get 2 ohms, which is as far down as the peavey can go and operate properly.

Same thing happens if you just use 1 1/4 input plug a cab into it then take another 1/4 cable from your cab and plug it into another cab that is ofcourse the same ohmage, you will get 2 ohms.

Hope I helped clear things up for ya!

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You'll get a somewhat better power transfer by using two cables off the amp, but the difference is probably not audible. If your cables are 16 gauge or less it would minimize cable insertion loss, which could keep the amp a few degrees cooler.
  4. Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    Won't going

increase the total load to 8ohms? This would give a serial ciruit in which impedance is measured by adding the impedance of each link along the circuit.

Or am i wrong?

5. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Nope. 4 Ohms + 4 Ohms = 2 Ohms. I would explain, but you can find the best explanation in the FAQ sticky.

EDIT: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144244
  6. Espidog

May 19, 2006
    You're correct about what happens to impedances in a series circuit, but by connecting your cabs together you won't be putting them in series.

When manufacturers put an extra socket on the back of a cab to enable you to add other cabs, they fix it so that the cabs end up wired in parallel. So, hooking your two 4 Ohm cabs together results in the amp seeing 2 Ohms.

To wire two or more cabs in Series, you have to make/get a special cable that connects the amp's negative terminal to the negative terminal of cab A, the pos terminal of cab A to the neg of cab B, and so on in a chain until the positive of the last cab ends up back at the amp's positive terminal.

Most of the misunderstandings about this whole business come from the fact that when musicians connect one or more cabs together, they insist on calling it "daisychaining", which conjures up entirely the wrong mental image. Linking cabs together in the usual fashion is NOT daisychaining: it's running them side by side - i.e. in Parallel, with all the negative terminals commoned up together and all the positives commoned up together.
  7. Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    Ah, ok. I didn't know that most cabs are wired in parrallel. Thanks for clearing that up for me.