Dallas bass repair

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mponthier, Jul 19, 2004.

1. I have a bass that has developed an annoying buzz in the past couple of months on the open E string only. It sounds like it is coming from inside of the bass. I don't see places where the bass has come unglued, etc. What are some good places in the Dallas metro area that I can bring my bass in to get looked at? I'm wondering if it might be my soundpost. When the bass is held perfectly upright, is the sound post supposed to be exactly horizontal to the ground? It doesn't look like it is on my bass. I'm not near my bass and I don't remember if it was the front side or the back side that was higher... Thanks for you input.
  2. I've heard some really good things about Larry Morgan Music in Garland. I've been planning on taking my Cirrus over there to get a set-up done, but that's quite a haul for me. Since it's really close to you, ya may wanna give them a shot. Here's the #, 972-864-8584. Hope it all works out for ya.
  3. I've been to his shop many times but I didn't get the impression that they worked on upright basses.
  4. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Go see David Graham at Graham's String Shop in Arlington. 817-861-2518

5. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    He gets my vote, too. Quick turnaround. Nice guy.
  6. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Run, don't walk to David Graham's shop in Arlington. Call first and he'll meet you there. He works those strange luthier/musician hours.

A second alternative would be Jay Rury's vilolin shop in South Dallas just a mile or two west of the zoo. Jay works on basses and has a good reputation. David works ONLY on basses and has a good reputation.
  7. Thanks for the responses. I spoke with David and will be bringing my bass to him this weekend.

Thank you.
  8. Guys,

Thanks for the recommendation to go to David's shop. He worked on the nut, adjusted the sound post, adjusted the bridge, and installed a Realist for me. And during all of this, he was as nice of a fellow as you can imagine. He is definitely the man to see about double bass in Dallas.