1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass Microtubes Alpha Omega 900 with BBC Matrix 2,200W Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheRedScarecrow, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Return the beast, it’s not what you’re looking for!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep it! It’s a great deal, adjust your expectations!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheRedScarecrow

TheRedScarecrow

Jul 29, 2020
    I recently bought the amp my bassist for my main band and I have coveted for nearly a year now, the acclaimed DG Alpha Omega 900...

When it came, I set it up clean and ran it through my Ampeg 410HE (500W/1000W max, 8 ohm) and though I saw the speakers light up from being driven, there was no sign of backing down from this trusty cabinet! I later plugged in my pedals, adjusted the mix accordingly and went to town. - https://ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410he/

Celebrating the new head, I decided to get a new cab that could bring out its full, 900 Watt advertised potential, distortion included - Browsing Musician’s Friend, I saw the BBC Matrix, at the used cost of $850 with only cosmetic damage; A spectacular markdown from the list $1300+ on their site! - BBC Matrix – Boom Bass Cabinets

This monster is advertised to handle 1,100W, and a peak of 2,200W - I figures there’s nothing my current setup can’t throw at it that this thing can’t handle. After viewing some demos on YouTube, I also loved seeing how portable it was!

When the BBC came, it played the amp clean like a dream, but after plugging in the pedals, and messing with the built in OD/distortion, I noticed the familiar smell of heat in the air after under and hour of jamming/tweaking...

Before anyone asks, yes the amp was set to 4 ohms in all scenarios.

My roommate says no matter what the wattage, the pedals combined with a strong amp can still damage it. However I’m wondering why it didn’t do the same for the Ampeg 4x10.

I like to crank the drive of the Darkglass’s distortion channel, but it’s not dimed out and the Ampeg was fine with it. Both amps however, gave a loud buzz when I tried stacking the Bass Driver effect of my Boss-ME80B with the Darkglass’s driven distortion channel - That I just have to tweak.

So, should I just return this thing despite the deal I got it for and just bite the bullet on the DGNE212? Which would be stupid not to work...or is The Matrix worth exploring further?

But what’s going on here? Am I just being naive in thinking this cab can just do anything my 4x10 could despite it’s size and 2x10x15 setup? Or is it a simple case of exaggeration on the marketing side?
    I could tweak my pedals and compensate to use this cab, but wouldn’t that make it objectively worse than the existing Ampeg if I have to adjust that way? Or is such just the nature of getting a new cab after such a long time?

Thank you in advance!

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021