1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Darkglass Vintage Deluxe Settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jalapejoe, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Ok so I just bought a Darkglass Vintage Deluxe, this one has the boost, flat, attack and grunt, fat, thin switches. Anyhow I brought it to a rehearsal (I got the gig) but a couple band members wanted more bass, deeper bass so boosted the bass on the pedal played a couple songs with it. I disengaged the pedal played a few more songs without it, the band loved it more without the pedal. However the pedal really added some really nice tone to my setup, growl, tubey sound loved it but it thinned out my bass. Anyone else have settings that work for them without losing precious bass tone? My gear I used was:

Ampeg PF-800 Head (800 watts) Ran everything flat
    Ampeg 2x10" PF210HE
    Ampeg 1x15" PF115HE

Vintage-Deluxe-2.0.

2. I really wish I would have bought the ported 4X10 PF410HLF to push more air.

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I am intrigue by the title of this thread. If I happen to own one, I might summit some settings. you say that the pedal sounded to thin on your rig. was the grunt switch set to thin? did you add too much treble on the pedal? if so, that could be the reason. if you're trying to thicken your sound with the vmtd, check out this clip. hopefully it'll help you out on some setting ideas.

4. It may have been on Thin, you know this was a rehearsal and I was a bit nervous, didnt really play much with it, now that I got the gig I'm going to really play with it, take pics and notes and submit them here. This thing is so bad a$$ I just know it will work out for me. Thanks for clip man, Ill check it out.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Ahh I see. you didn't take the time to test out the pedal. and yes the pedal is bad a$$ and I'm pretty sure it'll work out for you if you spend some time testing it out. it's versatile and it's useful for many type of music. including rock and metal. once you find the right setting for the pedal, you should be set on having a totally awesome sound. I was thinking of purchasing that pedal based on that clip I've posted. I really dig how warm and heavy it can sound. I would most likely to purchase one as a warm heavy distortion.

jalapejoe likes this.
  6. Update on the pedal, I returned it for refund, the pedal was pretty decent using on my little practice amp at home added some nice color and tones but did nothing the band liked at practice space. I played thru it as my guitarist tweaked the knobs to find a tone we liked in the end the band liked my bass without it. I am running an Ampeg Fridge 8X10 with a Ampeg PF-800 and it sounded allot better without the pedal. In a few months I am updating my head to a Ampeg Heritage replacing the PF-800 cant wait to unleash that tone on this band and our shows.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That's a shame. the pedal did have some potentials. maybe the darkglass vintage deluxe might of worked better on solid-state amps like a gallien-krueger or a hartke. if you're still interested in overdrives, there are plenty of options for that.

jalapejoe likes this.
  8. With a new set of fresh stainless steel strings on my Ibanez SR755 and Fender Deluxe 5 string a little gain cranked on my PF-800 has the tone I really want, wouldnt mind playing with a little phaser or flange too might have to grab a couple of those pedals too play with. Loved Geezers tone and Mike Inez.

9. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    late response because you already returned it but i use as follows.

full blend
    boosted level (2-3 o'clock)
    drive all the way off
    mild eq scoop (as a starting reference not knowing what sound you're after)
    grunt set to "fat"
    attack - boost or flat works depending on your freshness of string. if they're old i use boost, if they're fresh i leave it on flat.

the drive is mainly responsible for low end loss. I use mine as a clean boost to drive my Markbass TTE500 amp (hybrid tube w/3xecc81 and 1xecc83 tubes) and it works damn well. full thick, tight bottom end.

same trick applies to the v.1 vintage deluxe.

justBrian and jalapejoe like this.
  10. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

I know this doesn't really answer your question but I found the darkglass vintage deluxe kinda thin but very good for nice tone, I mix my dark glass b3k to keep the tone overdriven and still have that heavy low end

jalapejoe likes this.
  11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    There you go. it's always good to explore effects for your bass. I use flanger on bass. I currently own a mooer e-lady flanger pedal and it sounds awesome on bass. I really dig the swirling flanging sounds that this pedal provides. it also sounded pretty cool when I combine it with distortion.

jalapejoe likes this.
  12. Ill have to give that Flanger a try.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Indeed it is a great flanger pedal to try out. and there are many good flanger pedals to try out on bass. here are a few recommendations.

Mooer E-lady
    Electro-harmonix electric mistress
    mxr micro flanger
    mxr m117 flanger
    mxr bass chorus deluxe(it has a flanger feature)
    ebs unichorus(same with this one)
    rocktron reaction flanger
    t.c electronic vortex flanger

jalapejoe likes this.
  14. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Here a pic of a typical setting on my Vintage D. My bass rig is a Mesa D800 and a Fender P.

image.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  15. I have a VMT but not the Deluxe. I find I get better tones using it with my SA EQ. I really love the tones I get and the EQ makes it sound better. Too bad you couldn't find something useable. The pedal is not for everyone.

16. Yeah me too, I was bummed the guys liked my amp without it. I brought it to rehearsal twice the first time they complained I needed more bass they were not fans of the distortion, then second rehearsal my guitarist
    tweaked it as I played he thought it was a glorified EQ pedal with distortion so I just sent it back. I just bought a 1974 Ampeg 8X10" and looking forward to pickup up the Ampeg V-4B for it, that tone I love alone, maybe add a little flange to it.

17. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for the tip. I tried this with my new Vintage Deluxe--switches on Attack and Grunt--with my Gibson LP and it absolutely kills. I dialed back the level just a bit, but it sounds amazing...

anavar likes this.
  18. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    good man, glad it worked for you. the Vintage is a rad pedal :)