Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Daryl Jones 5 "B" Focus ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adam on bass, Jul 1, 2005.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Who owns a DJ5 and can tell me how the B is? I have nothing but Spector 5's (US and Euro's)and want a Jazz for some switchen' it up and don't want to pay for a Sadowsky. I had a 55-02 and I hated the B, very BLAH compared to the Spectors.

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Wow! I'm surprised at that. I used to play Spectors exclusively (USAs and CRs, 35" scale Bs, none of the cheaper ones). I now play a Lakland 55-02D as my main bass and it has the best B of any bass I've ever owned (And I NEVER thought that would happen with a bolt-on instrument).

FWIW, I changed the bridge on the Lakland to a Hipshot (I need quick release, I never string through the body) and to my surprise it was also an improvement in tone and playability. A DJ5 (probably with a J-Retro) is DEFINATELY in my future.

3. With the taperwound Lakland B strung through the body, I find the focus on the DJ5 to be great--just about as good as anything I've ever played except maybe the 36" scale David King.

I also liked the B on the 55-01 I owned (string the same way) very much, but I've never spent much time with a 55-94 so I don't know how it compares, or whether the one you had was just "off". Never spent much time with a Spector 5, either--love the design, but the narrow string spacing drove me nuts on the ones I played, so I don't have much point of reference there.

So, I don't know if this is so much help after all!
    Mike

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Funny, I've had the urge to buy (or at least try) a DJ5 lately, too. :smug:

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Two things:
    1. Also, I'm not using exposed or taper core, but I still stand by my original statement on my Lakland's B (and I did try exposed core on the Spectors on a couple of occasions).
    2. He said his B was not good on a 55-02, not a 55-94, but I may have missunderstood your statement.

6. Sorry, don't know why I had 55-94 stuck in my head--he did say 55-02...

7. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I am using regular old XL170's on my spectors (130 - B). i hate to but blind but the DJ 5 is just so damn pleasing to the eye. Can anybody tell me how much this thing weighs?

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    They have a used one at LDS, I've played it three times, it has a very good "B" for a passive bass, they also have used JO5 with J-Retro I like the DJ5 better. It's not my Sadowsky but I wouldn't hesitate to play a gig with it.

www.lowdownsound.com

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Is it the white one?

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yep, Nice Bass, If I wouldn't have just spent 2500 on a used NYC Sadowsky I'd be thinkin about it. They do 70's Fenders probably better then any Fenders!

11. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a JO5 with a J-retro and I love it. Great feel - great sound - great construction. I would imagine a DJ5 is great too. I have a bit of GAS for a DJ 4 or 5. I like the block inlay look.

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Ah... I didn't realize that one was used. The other used basses on the site are marked as "used," but for some reason the white DJ5 isn't. I suppose that would be a rather low price for a new one. ;)

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    D'Addario XL170s is what I use also. I use the SL (Super Long) sets for the 35" scale, however, I don't use the 5 string sets because I don't want the .130 B. I order the B separately in .125 or .120 when available. Since the .130 is going to be stiffer, I don't know if this had anything to do with your Lakland experience.

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Somewhat of an off topic question:
    Even though the pickups would still be passive, would installing the J-Retro in the DJ or JO bring the output of the bass up to a similar level as my (all active) 55-02D?

15. 1) The J-Retro has lots of room to boost the gain on the pickups and make them very hot--you could probably match the output of your 55-02D, unless you have the oulput set reay hot...

2) FWIW, the Bart pickups on your 55-02D are passive, not active.

Mike

16. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    How about a Valenti five? I've heard positive comments on the B's on them.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    1] I do have the trim pot set almost all the way up. It was the only way to get output close to my other active basses (Cirrus, Spector, Carvin). The trade off is the passive mode isn't even close in comparible output. :(

2] I thought I had read they were active, but I guess there couldn't be a passive option then, could there.

18. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have had a 55-02 and still have a 44-02 and I think the JOs with J-retros are a bit hotter.

19. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I just don't like the headstock.

20. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I love my DJ5, the B is great - not floppy at all.
    I don't need the J sound enough to spend Sadowsky / Lull / Celinder money, but I don't feel the DJ5 is a compromise in ANY way whatsoever. It's the best passive 5 stringer I've played next to the Fender Roscoe Beck 5.