1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dave Holland Ones All

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by DownLow, Jan 1, 2008.

1. DownLow

DownLow

Nov 30, 2007
    An amazing (and unfortunately rare) solo DB album.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this? I've seen it offered for $40 and up.

2. DownLow

DownLow

Nov 30, 2007
    Thanks for the link. The price is ok, but shipping to the USA is pricey and can take up to 30 days.

I wonder if there is anyplace stateside?

3. It is well worth $40, it is a gorgeous solo very straight forward, but just awesome. You could pay collectors prices or just go on Soulseek and decide that if the rights holders wanted to be paid they would keep it in print (obviously Holland and the label won't see any of the $40, either).
    The ethics are complicated and we all have to make our own decisions.

4. DownLow

DownLow

Nov 30, 2007
    Thanks for the endorsement. It's hard to tell if an album is worth the investment just by listening to the 20 second clips online.

I may just bite the bullet and pick it up.

Although I'm always looking for new sites to pick up music, especially out of print stuff, if anyone knows of any.

Thanks for the help.

5. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had no clue that it's not in print and so expensive. That's a shame.

I very much enjoy that album and it had had a large impact on me. I suppose I shouldn't rub it in, but I feel quite fortunate to have found it randomly at a used cd store for one dollar.

It's a lot of fun to jam along with that disc.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I found it easy to get Emerald Tears - which is very nice! If you want a Dave Holland solo album ...?

7. DownLow

DownLow

Nov 30, 2007
    Thanks. Emerald Tears is great.

In my opinion Ones All is more straight ahead, and I HAVE TO own the Mr. PC track on this disc. Amazing.

This is solo bass done right. It's a shame it's out of print.

By the way, if anybody has any other solo bass recordings that you like, shout them out!

My ears like solo bass lately, and I'm always looking for new music...

8. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    I've been wanting to get a copy of that since first borrowing it from my teacher at college.... and of course I did the "proper" thing of returning it to him and not burning it for myself :smug:

It really is an amazing CD, for me it really changed the way i approach the upright and playing for that matter.

that price is a bit steep BUT it really is a CD that you'll listen to and pass on to your kids and their kids

9. These days the responsibility rests on both sides, if the artist/label wants listeners not burn it, they must keep it in print - at the very least digitally. Not a tall order these days.

10. Scroller

Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    Hi DownLow,
    If you haven't heard Miroslv Vitous's solo bass recording, Emergence, check it out here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Emergence-Mir...r_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1200185784&sr=1-14

Personally, I love the solo recordings of Barre Phillips, Barry Guy, William Parker, Peter Kowald, Dominic Duval etc.
    The Vitous is a little more straightforward though :). Also, Glen Moore has a nice solo bass recording called Dragonetti's Dream if you haven't heard it (also reasonably priced on Amazon)...

11. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    I finally got a copy of 'ones all'. What a great CD. It's not just a bunch of vituostic bass chops, this is real music played by a true bass giant. A must have for any jazz DBist, IMO. It may be out of print, but it is readily available online so get it while you can...

Jim

12. 1smileymn

1smileymn

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The solar is ridiculous, I transcribed that a few years ago for an improv class...learned a lot about solo bass!!

13. triplelutz

triplelutz

Nov 8, 2006
    Aguilar, Elixir, Dunlop
    Ones All.....my favorite bass album ever. Dave Holland is killin' back then and today!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021