dave holland

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by groove100, Feb 1, 2005.

1. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    just got his new record "overtime" couple of weeks off of itunes... what you guys think of it?
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Haven't heard it yet. I love Holland's stuff so I'll have to go get it. Is it with his recent big band? Is it ECM?
  3. Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    He was just at my school this week doing 3 days of clinics. He's incredible! Today he performed with the faculty (including Don Thompson on vibes). All big band stuff. It was incredible.

At one of the clinics he did a solo-bass rendition of Mr PC that blew my mind.
  4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It is the Dave Holland Big Band, although Dave and ECM have now parted company. The album is on Dave's own label, Dare2records, distributed in the US by Sunnyside and elsewhere by Verve France.
  5. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    i first heard dave on chic's "like minds" with pat metheny, gary burton and roy haynes... this new recording is really a killer... its just fresh.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't this be in the Double Bass side?
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I seriously doubt it.
    (I will pick this up as soon as it's released in the US).

You really need to add, at the very least, Conference Of The Birds & Prime Directive to your collection. ;)
  8. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    i guess its ok to post Dave here, cause most of my influence are on double .

Jim k.. if you have itunes you can download the whole recording for 9.99$
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No, iTunes for me; I'm still on 56k.
    ...plus I'm old skool; I like having the artwork & liner notes, yadda.

I also agree about URBassists getting their due here in the EB Forum.
    Too many schisms exist; for me, it's about 'the music'...can you imagine a thread about an electric player in the Double Bass Forum?
  10. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    yea i like the whole packaging too, its art for me... but sometimes im broke, so gotta go and save the packaging and tax..