1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dave Smith Mopho or... ???

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Julian Sileone, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Minitaur?? Slim phatty?? Arturia minibrute??

What do you prefer?

2. Opinions please!!!

3. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Shruthi 1

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    sub phatty!

5. I don't have any experience with the minibrute, but I've owned several DSI and Moog products. The Moog stuff is by far my favorite, but they are all totally different instruments. if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer. :)

6. quality / price, which should I buy? I will use it to play Soul, RnB, Pop

7. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    i would at least see if you can find and try an alesis micron. if it does the trick you will save some money. pretty hefty little synth with a great engine. cops a lot of those analog bass sounds and more.

8. Yeah you cant go wrong with moog IMHO. Some of their higher end stuff is expensive, but they are offering some great units with lots of value. Oh yeah, I'm not affiliated with Moog at all, but I really love their synths! :)

I would recommend looking at the little phatty or the sub phatty. Those seem to be great units for synth bass and much more. If you're using it live, I would definitely go with something that has some preset space. That way you can save your tones and call them up quickly on a gig. So for me, that would rule out the minibrute.

The Dave Smith stuff is killer (I used to own a Prophet 08), but unless you are pretty experienced with synths, the interface can be a bit confusing. I suppose the best advice would be to try to track down some to play. They are all different instruments and have their own sound. Go with what sounds the best to you! :)

Cheers!

9. The envolver mono keyboard is awesome !!!!! But it's discotinuated. On ebay for $1000.

I'll buy a Mopho keyboard :D

10. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    in the price range of the mopho, you should check out the Nova, an old Virus, Alesis Ion, and the Korg MS2000.. all of those are awesome synths... but there aint nuttin wrong with that yellow mopho