Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Hughes

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shwan81, Oct 19, 2004.

1. shwan81

shwan81

Feb 19, 2004
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone else has heard of David Hughes. I did a search on him and nothing came up. He's a bassist in the LA area, and i believe he taught breifly at BIT at MI. I heard of him through a friend I know who works with him every now and then. After hearing him on some session work my friend called him on, I was impressed and decided to buy his solo CD. It's really good, not just a bass CD, but something I think most people can listen to and appreciate. He's musical and he made all the compositions. Check out the website for some samples www.swedebass.com

He has some well known people including David Benoit, Greg Mathieson and Wilton Felder. If get a chance to listen to it, let me know what you think. It's smooth jazz feel for the most part.

2. I just watched a Jazz Crusaders DVD with David Hughes on it. It was the first time I have been able to knowingly disect the tone of an F Bass in a band setting, and it was SMOKIN'!!! It was a black with white Ceruse finish 6 with a flame maple fretboard, and it was wicked.

David's technique was weird. When you watch him, it looked sloppy and bad (not unlike AJ), but he was burning. He was laying down some tasty stuff. I was impressed enough to search and revive a thread from 2004?!?!?!?

The DVD is "Jazz Crusaders: The Paris Concert". Check it out.