1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dazed and Confusing timing too hard?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tupac, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    We tried it for the first time at rehearsal today. It's just so hard to keep that intro in sync without any subdivisions from my drummer. He puts some hi hat in in the second part, but the intro is just bass and kick drum. Any tips for this? Also, what's the best way to count it off?

2. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Our band played that song in the late 70's. Here is how we counted it out. Only the 1's are the played notes:

1-123-123-123-1, 1-123-123-123-1

3. I haven't ever seen the sheet music, but it feels like 6/8 to me (could be fast 3/4), and I count it:

6, 1-2-3, 4-5-6, 1-2-3, 4-5, 6, 1-2-3... etc.

I don't have any trouble keeping on it tapping my foot to that 6/8 time.

Edit: I see the Sac Man was writing at the same time as me.

4. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Yeah, but I think your notation is more "correct" than mine! :)

5. Thank you. Calling it "notation" was . . . uhm . . . generous. :D

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'll call it 12/8.

You can sing the subdivisions in your head (1-2-3, 2-2-3, 3-2-3, 4-2-3).

7. jet_king

jet_king

Jul 31, 2009
    Chicago,IL
    You both seem to be right, both ways count well as long as your counting from the right spot with the right method. (DUH) but I found the 1,123,123,123 holding up a little better mentally. But its all preference i guess.

8. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Maybe I have over simplified it- but I count it 1... 2...3... 4... (with a very slight shuffle feel)

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    It's actually 12/8 time. For some reason I have never found the timing to be difficult. If you try not to over think it you should be fine.

10. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    According to my book =
    In G
    Starts in 12/8
    tempo 158

Measure 16 is 9/8

Measure 17 to 6/8

Measure 22 to 12/8

30 = 6/8

At the drum cue it shifts to 4/4 with a 190 tempo

back to 6/8 and then ends in 12/8

There is a foot note;
    "The original versions of this song by Holmes and Page clearly place the low E of the signature bass line riff on beat 1 and the high G on beat 2. In the first 2 verses Bonham chooses to turn the metre around, placing the high G on beat 1. From this point he turns the metre around again, placing the G on beat 2 as in the original versions. He remains in the metre for the rest of the song. All subsequent versions of the song follow this exact same pattern of turning the metre around."

11. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I've noticed that it's not your first posting about some timing issues between you and your drummer.

At this moment, just count - 1 - 2 -3 1 - 2 -3 1 - 2 -3 1 - 2 -3/etc...
    And yes, the drummer plays a pedal hi-hat on 2 in the Intro. It helps everybody with timing.
    Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin (Video)

1. Set tempo to about 136BPM.
    2. Program a very simple rhythm pattern on "Hydrogen":
    For your rhythm, set
    Size = 6;
    Res. = 4;

Click the following:
    Beat1 = Kick
    Beat2 = Pedal Hi-hat
    Beat3 = Pedal Hi-hat.

3. Start playing a very simple bass pattern:
    The same root note on Beat1, Beat2, Beat3.
    Don't pay attention to any bass note changes.
    Right now, we are trying to "internalize" that riff. Don't think about the song - just the simple rhythm pattern until you develop rhythmic awareness of the groove.

4. When you feel comfortable, stop playing bass on Beat2.
    5. As soon as you feel comfortable again, remove a pedal Hi-hat on Beat3 from "Hydrogen" and practice.

6. Now, try playing the bass only on Beat1. Practice until you feel comfortable.

As soon as you feel comfortable - you were able to internalize that rhythm - proceed with your song/bassline.

12. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Is this a good way to count it in my head?

TRIP a let TRIP a let TRIP a let TRIP a LET...

And thanks for all the advice. Hydrogen looks like a very handy program.

13. If that gets you there, sure. It's just yet another way to describe the same count. They're not "technically" triplets, but it has the same feel.

14. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    It's very important for a bass player to learn how to program the drum machine/software and exercise with it.

In addition, get Ed Friedland's book "Bass Grooves".
    He really spends a lot of time explaining how to program the drums and what to do with it.

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    They're triplets if you notate it in 4/4.

;)

16. Exactly. You can turn them into triplets, because they have the same feel, but, technically, since they were not originally notated as triplets, they're not.

That's why I put those quotations around "technically." :p

17. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It's not a shuffle. It's definitely subdivided in threes. Rather than notate it in 4/4, I would use 12/8.

18. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

You guys and your counting......just do it from the soul.... ;-)

19. Yeah, he tried that. Then he asked for help. :p